Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Sorry to mention the elephant in the room but something scary is happening to house prices in the local area. I'm talking about some places rising by over 10% in the last week. Nearly 40 % in the last two years.

Speak to the estate agents, something unprecedented it's happening with the cost of home ownership, especially between wood green tube and ally pally.

It's possible this government may become known as seeing through the largest distribution of wealth from the poor to the rich ever ....

Views: 9776

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's called Council Tax banding

Call it whatever you want as long as it makes no sense to leave buildings without people living in them.

Either that or make squatting empty residential buildings legal again.
I wouldn't make the aim to quell the demand myself, just to use it as a tax turbine for more growth. If the worlds rich want to build beautiful ivory towers in London, let's let them but just make sure they are magnificent to look at, have a bloody great bar at the top that locals can use and tax it as much as we can get away with.

Possibly is the time to stop landlords buying up small family homes though, on that I agree.
We need a property tax (i.e. an ownership tax) to partially replace some of the council tax and business rates (i.e an occupancy taxes). It means that landlords - residential and commercial - as well as land owners - local and foreign- would also contribute to local finances if they own property in an area. At the moment loads of landlords, both 'good' and rogue ones, buy property on interest-only loans so that they can write off the cost to tax, then they rent them out carrying out minimal maintenance and let the tenants pay the council tax. And speculative foreign buyers too, letting their property sit empty, since they can earn more through the market value increases than the interest they would get if the price of the asset = cash was placed in the bank and with no further outgoings. So they are creaming off the system by owning property that is not being used, but not really contributing to financing of public services. Of course they are providing housing to the rental market, but at what cost? And it isn't illegal but causes misallocation of that vital commodity that is housing!

I wonder whether we'll have to wait for the 'middle classes' to revolt before we see the politicians really tackle this situation?

And how do you think ordinary house owners will finance this extra tax? 

Reduce council tax and increase the percentage values the higher the property value. In London there is also the question of changing the weight of the taxes across the boroughs so that the burden is spread more evenly. Wandsworth, Westminster = very low. Hackney, Haringey = quite high. So it can't just be done in isolation. And there is a case for removing responsibility for some services e.g social services, education, etc, from these small boroughs and giving them over to the Mayors office. That way tax revenues from Canary Wharf, Oxford street, etc, could help finance services in less well off areas of the capital city. The likes of Google, etc setting up in Kings Cross but paying low taxes in Ireland, would contribute more too!
The changes couldn't be done in isolation. The present system does not work. Why are we different neighbourhoods in Haringey fighting just to get decent streets and access to basic services?
But of course we don't really stand a chance of seeing any of this because the political parties are stuck in a rut and we electors like it so...!

It is amazing that he UK does not have property tax! You can own property and land but not contribute anything.
Unless I am mistaken and there is land tax.
A bedroom tax is a better solution. People should be taxed according to how many bedrooms all their property's had yesterday, unless that number is greater today.

You want to carve up a lovely Victorian house into an Multiple occupancy house to rent out, fine, pay us the money.

You want to sit on a property empire and do nothing with it, fine, pay us the money.

You want to buy another home in Wales and only ever visit in the summer and leave locals stitched up with no where to live, fine, pay us the money.

Total exemption on your first property within reason. After that, leave buildings empty if you want to - but pay us the money to build more houses and better and bigger local services.

It's a neat solution.

If someone rents out their second home kitchen and someone sleeps in that, it's now a 'bedroom', pay us the money.

It's similar to the system known as selling indulgences.  The sins of the rich are condoned and pardoned provided they pay enough tax to church/state. Nothing changes.

I'm all for redistributing ownership rights to the people that live in each property Alan, just don't have the police force or army behind me on at one. Until then, let's concentrate on what is possible.

FPR. Ownership rights as the solution? That's what they did in the former Soviet Union. As I recall workers' certificates of ownership were sold on; and later made fortunes for oligarchs and some former communists.

A similar approach was Mrs Thatcher's "Right to Buy" - leading to many publicly owned homes ending up with exploitative landlords.

If you haven't met him, Milo Minderbinder in Catch-22  has been seen as the embodiment of amoral capitalism.

You may also be interested to hear a radio discussion with Germaine Greer and Christos Tsiolkas - including Australian Aboriginal leader Pat Dodson explaining the dangers of selling land rights.

I have a bedroom which doesn't have a bed in it but is used as a video/audio edit room. Do I have to pay tax on that ?

No but you''ll be charged heavily for the over use of smiley's come the revolution.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service