Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've just been to the display in the West Indian Cultural Centre and have come back pretty much reassured. It doesn't look as if they will be taking over any more land nearer the New River but they will be erecting a train washing shed on existing track. I'm ok (he said smugly ) because the existing buildings will shield me from any increased activity. A lot of the track development seems to be on land to the north of the Hampden Road pedestrian bridge, behind Wilmot and the steel stockholders.

The pedestrian bridge over the tracks, the New River and the Turnpike Lane bridges are to be widened (that'll be fun).

On site movements will be limited to 5 mph and all engines will be electric, so no idling diesels.

I asked if we could post a copy of their plans on HOL and they promised to get back to me with permissions.

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, hornsey rail depot-hampden, network rail

Views: 342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

... the noise of idling engines have been a great issue over the last 2 years. And if I can hear it and be disturbed by it living on Uplands Road, I can only imagine the level of irritation it would create for those leaving much closer on Wightman road.

You'd think so but this issue was put up for discussion with little reply. Maybe Wightman Rd residents wear ear plugs or pop sleeping pills! But it's certainly going to get a whole lot worse with the M25 of the train network about to be dropped right outside their back gardens.
There is a shunter parked opposite my flat which is presumably diesel but I've never heard it idling. Uplands is quite a way from the railway - could it be some plant on the industrial estate ?
If it is, you COULD take some action to eliminate it.
It is hard to believe it, but unfortunately it is true.

From the upper part of Uplands road, high up on the hill you hear every things that goes on in the lower grounds. it is as if we are at the top steps of an amphitheater, we can hear people talking in the industrial estate, trains idling near Wightman road, and also trains coming and going into service in the Hornsey depot and even the activity of dropped metal bars in the metal yard by the Hornsey depot...

We here it all up here.
This is reassuring. Thanks very much for taking the time to go and report back. Dick Harris
Council leader vows to fight this. Read the story in the Journal.
Story picked up by the BBC

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service