Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have again asked for some enforcement action by the council against HGVs using Wightman Road and the ladder roads.

I am pleased to say that I have just had an email from the Parking Infrastructure Manager to say that they will be carrying out some enforcement this week between 7am and 8.30am.

Lets hope it starts to send a message to the companies that they lorries belong to.

Tags for Forum Posts: 7.5t, hgv, traffic

Views: 8681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Alan

Not all those trucks, you describe above, will be HGV but 7.5 tonners, less experienced, more throttle than brake and brain. Therefore more likely to tap and run.

I know the N17 and N15 areas quite well and agree they are very tight and sometimes unpassable. I have had to turn down delivery for just that.

Putting signs up may put some off but sadly there and the more selfish drivers who are trying to beat the queue.

What is the actual problem ? 1)The fact that the road is narrow because cars are parked either side and block the artery OR  2) the lorries use the roads ?

Home delivery customers expect delivery to some of these roads. So there will be a need for some trucks to access.

As I see it the minmum  necessary width for those roads should be that for a Fire Appliance.  Then dustcarts should be able ?  Then all trucks can get through without knocking parked cars.

Widen the gap by white lining parking on half road/half pavement.

Thanks and regards

John

Earlier this week, I saw an articulated bulk carrier truck marked Castle Cement driving north along Wightman Road near Hewitt.  It was like the ones in the above photo.  According to online research this is a Mercedes tractor (which weighs about 9 tons) pulling a Felbinder silo trailer (which weighs 5 or 6 tons empty and up to 34 tons fully laden).  The Castle Cement brand (now rebranded Hanson) belongs to Heidelberg Cement, one of the biggest cement/aggregate companies in Europe and a competitor to the Holcim Group which owns the Hornsey cement depot (so the truck was probably not going there).  Yesterday, I saw another heading up Green Lanes.

Let's hope that Karen's initiative keeps these damn things out of the the ladder.

Hi - I know this is on old thread, but has anyone noticed any siginificant difference in the amount of HGV using the ladder roads ?  They still clatter past my house on Cavendish road every single morning without failure.

I don't see a bit of adhoc enforcement for a coupel of hours really doing much good.  Were any fines actually issued ?

Maybe we should start a protest group or at least get an online petition going to present to the council, asking them them to look at a more strategic approach to the problem.  There are 1000's of people living on the ladder who are affected by this.   Surely they would all sign up ?

My sense is that it has got much worse in the last year, and has been getting gradually worse year-on-year since I moved to the ladder.   Removing the weight restriction signs from the top of each road didn't help (Karen - have you had any joy getting an explanation from the Council for this?).  

Today I requested from Harringay council, under the freedom of information act, to see how many fines have been issued to 7.5t+ lorries in Harringay for using restricted roads.  It will be interesting to see if they have actually fined anyone ?

I watched a Homebase artic on Wightman 2 days ago. I was out running so no camera or note book sadly. The only mitigation I could come up with was that there was a diversion because I know there was some work at Turnpike Lane recently..

What is the score if we take a photo/video and pass it on to enforcment, can they act on this and issue a fine?

Most likely not. The best approach is to complain, with photo evidence if you have it, to the Transport Manager of the company concerned.

I think this would help

Dear Mr Ozlem

Thank you for your request for information under the Freedom of Information Act, which was received on 8th January 2013. in which you asked for the following information:

I am writing to request the results of the trial done by Harringay councils Parking Infrastructure team with regards to HGV using the ladder.

My response is as follows:

Detailed below is a summary of the feedback from our Contractor on the attempts to enforce in this area last year

We initially visited this area every day for a period of one week  by taking a  CCTV vehicle off of School Enforcement.  The vehicle moved between the three identified enforceable locations every 15-30 minutes to maximise the area coverage for enforcement.   While there were large sized vehicles observed driving in these areas none of them were above 7.5 tonnes. 

The areas identified where enforcement can be carried out were.

Frobisher Road N8.

Alroy Road Junction with Wightman Road towards Turnpike Lane.

Endyminon Road Junction with Alroy Road.

The bridge on Wightman Road heading towards Finsbury Park cannot be enforced at present as the only parking place would be on a SYL, on a cycle Lane on the bend of a road.

The ideal parking locations for these areas are

Frobisher Road N8- Park in the resident’s bay across the road in Wordsworth Parade opp Ozden Catering.

Alroy Road N4- Residents bay o/s 8

Endymion Junc with Alroy Road N4- Residents parking bay next to lamp post EN9B on Endymion Road.

We have yet to observe a vehicle contravening the 7.5 tonne weight limit but have observed following contraventions.

Wightman Road-C/Code  02- 14 PCN’s/C/Code 26- 1PCN/ C/Code 62-13 PCN’s/C/Code 99-1 PCN

Alroy Road- C/Code 62-1 PCN’s

Willoughby Road-C/Code 32W- 21 PCN’s/51-1 PCN/ 62- 5 PCN’s

Frobisher Road –C/Code 48-3 PCN, s

If you have any further queries, or are unhappy with how we have dealt with your request and wish to make a complaint, please contact the Feedback and Information Team as below. (Please note you should do this within two months of receiving this response.)   

Feedback and Information Team

River Park House

225 High Road

N22 8HQ

Telephone: 020 8489 2550

Email: FoI@haringey.gov.uk

Regards

Gary Weston
Parking Infrastructure Manager
Traffic Management - Single Frontline
London Borough of Haringey
River Park House
Wood Green
N22 8HQ

Email: gary.weston@haringey.gov.uk

Tel: 0208 489 1709 

Morning,

yesterday (5th March) at 14:37, a massive Jewson lorry drove up Cavendish Road.

Its number plate was RA57 HNG.

I Googled the number plate and the first hit was another complaint about access.

Anyhow, I need to go now to buy some materials to do some DIY; I'm off to Homebase.

Mark.

I have been liaising with the council today who tell me they are continuing to do enforcement and are issuing between 8 and 10 notices per visit.  They are looking at the idea of some permanent camera enforcement which would be great and I will continue to press them on this.

In the meantime the Parking Infrastructure Manager is happy to write to companies whose name and registration details we can provide to him (work load permitting) - so keep those details coming either here or to me on karen.alexander.haringeylibdems@gmail.com

Karen. Out of interest can I ask how much each 'visit' costs the council, and the amount they will issue as fines (and I assume will get to keep?).

My question is less the 'they are making money out of this' and more, are they able to fine folks infringing the limit sufficient to actually cover the cost of the enforcement?

I know many would argue for more and better enforcement (I am one of them) but my suspicion is that the reason we do not see more enforcement on this (and other issues, HMOs for example) is that this enforcement is a net cost to the council. I wonder how it can be made such that fines levied actually reflect the costs of enforcement... Just a thought.

I don't know the figures but I can find out.  I think they have been surprised by the number of vehicles they are catching so I would suspect that the income in fines will outweight the costs of enforcement.  They are looking at the possibility of a static camera but they need to work out if this will be cost effective - the fact they are even pursuing this line suggests it probably will be.

Interestingly, even with the small amount of enforcement they are getting complaints from companies whose lorries have been stopped!  Hopefully over time the message will get through to these companies that the ladder roads are not for them.

I have chased the question of the signage but am still waiting for a response. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service