Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Below are the results for the wards which are either wholly or partly in Harringay.

Views: 3136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's bellwether, referring to a castrated ram with a bell round its neck that leads the flock. Nothing to do with the weather. 

Pedantic rant over. 

What's been happening in Harringay ward over the past ten or so years is interesting. I just put the data together on a graph.

For comparison, 2002 vs (2006) shares [source via here]:

Lab 47%     (40%)

LD  15%     (42%)

Con 19%      (6%)

Green 19% (12%)

Thanks Gordon. Updated with your data:

But very nice to see Polish Pride above UKIP at last.

Trouble is, once I get started.......

Depressing.

It’s certainly startling. I’m just not clear what’s driven this change that so in contrast to most of the west of the borough when our voting patterns were so similar a decade ago. 

How about (for the rise) the national Lib Dem resurgence ('97 election 20 MPs, 2001 46 MPs, 2005 62 MPs, 2010 62 MPs), plus the proximity of Hornsey & Wood Green having a Lib Dem MP 2005-2010 and (for the fall, oops, becoming a coalition minister) 2010-2015.

This set of four maps of Haringey wards by party covers 2002 to 2014. In 2002 the Lib Dem/Labour partition was significantly further west than it became in 2006:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haringey_London_Borough_Council_elect...

2002 and 2018 have identical Lib Dem wards (Alexandra, Fortis Green, Highgate, Muswell Hill and Crouch End) and councillor numbers of Labour 42, Lib Dems 15.

And in the 1998 Haringey council elections - Labour 54, Lib Dems 3, and Conservatives 2 (just for John D, that stat).

And some ancient history: 1968: Labour 7, Conservative 53.  But 1971: Labour 41, Conservative 19.

But not all. Here's the new map of how areas voted.

Has anyone else noticed the similarity between the new political map of Haringey, and the semaphore flag for "Man Overboard"?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service