Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

An item at tonight's Council Cabinet meeting has thrown into question the future survival of Haringey's two warehouse districts and the artistic communities who live in them.

Both the Harringay Warehouse District and the Fountayne Road community now face an uncertain future following the publication of a Haringey Council report, "Tackling Unauthorised Living in Industrial Areas". (Report attached)

The report, which was discussed at the full cabinet of the Council today, recommends a two-year project costing £600,000 which will seek to deal with "the growing problem of unauthorised residential and live work uses in and around (the) Industrial Sites" in Haringey. The recommended process is "to establish a special multi-disciplinary team to fully investigate and address the problem through a combination of regulation, improvement, enforcement and, where necessary, prosecution".

The alarm bells were ringing for me since earlier in the week I had discovered that these areas are earmarked as being amongst those that will "will accommodate the majority of development in the borough over the next 20 years".

In Facebook and Twitter conversations this afternoon, warehouse residents shared their fears that the vibrancy their communities bring to the borough will be overlooked and their communities sanitised and destroyed.

In response to my Twitter requests to Council Leader Claire Kober this evening to protect these communities, Cllr Kober sought to offer some reassurance:

@harringayonline some people in unacceptable conditions. My concern is for safe, decent properties. No intention to undermine communities

@harringayonline no intention to damage what's good. Priority is to go after rogue landlords just as we do elsewhere in borough

When I asked if she would ensure that warehouse residents will be involved, the Council Leader replied:

@harringayonline don't see any problem involving residents. Will ask officers to consider how best to achieve

I very much hope that the approach the Council takes in this project will support these communities rather than beginning the process of whittling them away. 

Tags for Forum Posts: local plan, local plan 2014, site allocation plan, warehouse district

Views: 20965

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is very interesting for the parallels here. From today's Grianuad.

Dear Miss Long

Thanks for your enquiry regarding the above; I have visited the site and have reported the recycling waste to Veolia for collection. The rubbish in the forecourt is the responsibility of the owners/occupiers. However, we have established that this property is a mixed use property (residential and businesses). While businesses are required by law to make arrangement for their waste to be collected and disposed of lawfully, we are working with Veolia to identify which of the units are live work units or residential units with a view to providing the occupiers with suitable receptacles for their residual and recycling waste.

Also, regarding the accumulation of waste in the forecourt, in the past we have served statutory notices on the freeholders, occupiers and some of the businesses within the premises which led to improved cleanliness of the area, we are considering doing the same again.

I hope this information is helpful.

Neighbourhood Action Officer

One of the emails I recieved from Neighbour hood action)

Dear Festus

Why are units registered for Council tax at Omega not provided with bins and a regular refuse collection ?

I would like a written response from you by email please.

Regards

Jacqui

Jenny ...Festus works for Haringey Council he knows exactly which Units at Omega are paying Council Tax and Business Rates .. He has been using this excuse ,since Omega came under his jurisdiction .
He has copies of the contracts for the two companies that are contracted to collect refuse on behalf of Units paying Business Rates . The names of both contracted refuse collectors are on the bins .
Ask the Rates Dept who is paying Business Rates & who is paying Council Tax , it is Public Information .
Email Joe Goldberg,Claire Kober,Myles Joyce etc , as follows

Under the Freedom of Information Act , I request all documents, letters,emails and copies of computer files and phone records relating to the payment of Business Rates and Council Tax at Omega Works 167 Hermitage Rd London N4 1LZ.

They legally have to respond within 21 days

Festus if clearly ineffectual in his capacity to deal with this matter and should be replaced , my contribution to Business Rates and your contribution to Council Tax is paid towards his wages and Joe Goldberg , Claire Kober , Myles Joyce etc .

How do you feel about that ?
Jaqueline, could you respond to my question please: do the units you own have planning permission for residential use and if so when was that granted? Thanks.

This is how I feel... do the units you own have planning permission for residential use and if so when was that granted? Thanks

This information is available on the Haringey Website Portal . Are you familiar with Planning Law ?
Myles Joyce will be able to explain this to any of the Residents that are interested or concerned with matters relating to Enforcement issues .

The constituents and rate payers of Haringey pay his salary, you are entitled to receive a full explanation from him .

The Appeal defence is Public Knowledge , therefore you can review it and make your own decision .

Arena Business Park has been granted Certificate's of Lawful Use , Change of Use and Retrospective Planning Consent ?

This was a Protected Employment Zone , the large majority of this site is now residential as is the other Warehouse sites within the area .

Provewell Ltd fronted by Askler Shullam collects rent from these Tenants who are now mainly registered for Council Tax .

If Omega Works was properly maintained and regulated by the Freeholder's why would you have any objection to the site being maintained as mixed use ?

If it became solely Residential ,where would the small independent business's that operate from Omega Works go, and who would pay their expensive relocation fees .

I invite you to come and meet with me at my business premises at 10A Omega Works , to discuss a mutually beneficial solution to the issues that you have raised concerning ,refuse, noise,dilapidations etc.

You are free to take your own legal action against Majorlink and Myself, if you do not trust the democratic process of the forth coming Public Inquiry .

I do not like the situation any better than you .

Was that a yes or no?  Do you have planning permission for residential use?

If you do not like the situation then stop renting the units out,  or limit the use to normal working hours..

Once again Do you have planning permission for residential use ?? If so when was it granted ??

Do you work for Haringey Council in any capacity ?

I ask you because, as the landlord, I hope you will be able to tell me and the other users of this site easily.  I do not work for the Council.

Dear David

I am getting repeated complaints from the residents in Hermitage Road opposite Omega Works regarding the noise at night , mostly at the weekends .

Whilst I appreciate that this noise is partly due to my own tenants ( who have been asked to show respect to the Tenants in Hermitage Rd) , it is very difficult to ensure that the Tenants abide by these requests.

A solution to this problem as I have previously suggested , would be for us to jointly employ a security guard .

If we did this at the weekend , at least the neighbours would have less reason for complaints and the gates would remain closed .

Please get back to me regarding this ASAP.

Thanks

Jacqui

Copy of email sent to David Meir 4/08/2013 13.09 Jenny I cc you into this email ,but you did not respond ?

Sent from my iPad

I have responded.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service