Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Cabinet Proposing Abolition of Council Tax for Low Income Residents

Haringey Council is considering a scheme to remove the burden council tax from the borough's lowest income residents.

A paper going to cabinet tomorrow, aims to deliver on a manifesto pledge to “redistribute the burden of council tax.”

It is thought that around 6,000 families would benefit

If the proposal is approved by the cabinet, a ten week consultation will assess the levels of support  for the scheme.  If levels are sufficient, the scheme will be voted on by the full council.

Tags for Forum Posts: council tax

Views: 2306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I note that you are saying the coalition were Tories....

Funnily enough the relationship between sex and children is very similar to the relationship between eating and pooing, not many of us think of the fabulous dump we'll be having after a big meal.

So now poor people should be forcibly sterilised once they have two children? That's quite fascist, do you realise?

Nobody would advocate sterilisation. What's needed is a sense of responsibility.

That is exactly my position. Sadly to be "right wing" is to see no end to this "freeloading".

"Nobody would advocate sterilisation" - Ha ha ha ha ha.

As someone who has spent the last 10 years or so supporting unemployed people find jobs and navigate the benefits system it never fails to amaze me how many people think the unemployed are scroungers and somehow less worthy of what is innate within society. . A miniscule handful of those on benefits don't want to work, but the very significant majority do want a job, and will do almost any paid work. The problem is that employers and employment providers such as Ingeus etc regularly use down right bias when employing. Just walk down Oxford Street and look at the type of person who's employed within retail. How many over 40's do you see working in any of the stores?

Rather than complain about the poor having children, which is seriously sick quite frankly , put your energy into the multitrillion pound tax evasion thier prospective employers deal in. 

It's to fight the robots but right wingers support it because they think it gives them grounds to dismantle the welfare state, NHS, schools, everything.

Ideally we would have our basic needs taken care of by the government and then and allowance that was universal. Like being retired.

" Like being retired. "

Like living under communism, you mean.

Ideal in theory but didn't turn out well.

No JD, like being retired. Healthcare, "education", housing, transport all taken care of: "here's some money to buy fruit and newspapers". Except everyone would get it and those who wanted more would work.

Just like Soviet Union. Except there was never any fruit available to buy.

Been reading all these posts with interest, and would like to know more details about pensioners getting all these benefits like no council tax, housing etc!

I am a pensioner living off state pension and an incredibly small work pension, with a disabled son, yet the only benefit I get is my free bus pass and medicines that I need.

I worked pretty well non stop from aged 16 until I retired, paid in all my life, even when I had my 2 children and did not work for 8 years until the youngest started school I could not claim any benefits as my husband earned £2 over the council's benefit limits. We had to scrimp and go without to survive, but we managed it without getting too far into debt, and when I went back to work we saved hard and still went without to pay off the debts. Yet even now I still have to pay full council tax, get no housing relief etc, so where are these benefits that the retired get please???

Thanks, I’ll look it up again and see if anything’s changed!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service