Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Cabinet Proposing Abolition of Council Tax for Low Income Residents

Haringey Council is considering a scheme to remove the burden council tax from the borough's lowest income residents.

A paper going to cabinet tomorrow, aims to deliver on a manifesto pledge to “redistribute the burden of council tax.”

It is thought that around 6,000 families would benefit

If the proposal is approved by the cabinet, a ten week consultation will assess the levels of support  for the scheme.  If levels are sufficient, the scheme will be voted on by the full council.

Tags for Forum Posts: council tax

Views: 2306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not expect to.... but I don't want to live in a country where we don't and am prepared to pay taxes to that end. I also fully understand that SOME people will take the mickey but the jokes on them, kids are hard work. Also, we import people because we don't make enough of our own.

So that's another vote for no kids for people on benefits? 

What if you become poor? 

If you become poor, you don't have any more kids if you can't look after them. It's called being responsible.

But people can look after them. That's what the benefits safety net ensures. Hooray! 

@john d. 

"If you become poor, you don't have any more kids if you can't look after them. It's called being responsible"

So one is in work, has a few kids and a pregnant partner. Then s/he gets made redundant. Then what? I suppose the responsible thing would be to give them up for adoption and terminate the pregnancy, right? 

Thank god you're not a politician. 

As I've said, there will always be examples of people taking the mickey. I bet they have similar personality traits to FTSE-100 CEOs. Regardless, their presence in the system should not make it so hard for others. So I see your anecdotes about scroungers and raise you some data.

Part of coming to this country was accepting its values, fair play is a big one. You are just as bad as the scroungers you mention when you support such unfair views. There are consequences to chasing the mickey takers and it's not lower taxes, it's the most vulnerable and in need being murdered by the state.

Did you click on the blue word "data" above? It's a link you should see.

Fairness is not just about making sure you're not getting ripped off, it's about making sure other people are not starving to death.

If you read the article you’ll see it was published in the British Medical Journal and carried out by a highly respected group of researchers

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/11/e017722

Going back to who is allowed to have children.  Using your logic I, my sister and brother would not exist.  My parents were both working in low paid jobs when they could get them, as neither had any schooling beyond age 14.  My father could just about manage basic reading (never really grasped writing in anything but block capitals), but only because his national service mates taught him. All three of us qualified for free school meals (when they became available in the 1960s), grew up in a succession of rented rooms and eventually got to live in a council house on the edge of town.  We got got school uniform clothing vouchers and walked the four mile round trip to school because the bus fare was out of reach.  Yet we all became useful, working, contributing members of society.  It really does feel like you are equating poverty as failure and the right to have a family as a privilege only for those who earn or inherit a certain amount of money..

1. Anka, we used to have a contribution based system and I agree we need to go back to that. So, if you paid National insurance you got higher benefits if you became unemployed- one year and then six months. I am also an immigrant - 30 years next year. And I have never claimed income related benefits etc. But I appreciate a social welfare state. I suppose it’s what one believes in. Whether one believes in a society that values what we share as a community or whether one only believes in what we own as individuals. You seem to not believe in a social welfare state, though you presumably benefitted from free healthcare, schooling for your child and maybe claimed benefits when you arrived and at some point tax credits. I don’t begrudge my taxes paying for a fairer society. But I appreciate you may not feel the same way- that’s why we have a Tory govt. Maybe the argument for a social welfare state needs to be made more clearly. 

I suppose what I’m saying, is that none of us got to where we are by ourselves.

@ Potus

Emphasis specially for you -

you don't have any more kids .....

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service