Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Why were residential roads in Highgate gritted but not ladder roads? I'm just talking the footpaths here too by the way. People are still having to walk in the middle of the road to get down my street. Tonight I was in Cromwell Rd, part of Haringey, and was very cheesed off and envious to find that it had been cleared of snow and ice and its pavements gritted. I know that Turnpike Lane's pavement was gritted on Sunday night and wasn't feeling left out because it's not a residential road...

What do they have that we don't? Oh yes, sorry I asked.

Tags for Forum Posts: grit, gritting, highgate, snow

Views: 227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

would anyone else favour fortnightly collections?

No :-)

Our block has 16 flats and six wheelie bins. By the end of the week, they are all full to overflowing.
This link will take you to the Winter Maintenance page of the Haringey Council website. There is a link at the bottom of the page, to a spreadsheet which indicates the priority structure of roads in the Borough. I fear that few will find this very cheerful reading as it is by no means an exhaustive list and one wonders how often this list has been updated from its original creation.
You don't need to wonder, JPC. After the snow last year a lot of work was done and the Winter Service Plan was updated. If you want to know about changes to priorities and particular roads, you could ask for a list from the Urban Environment Department.

I'm not suggesting everything is perfect. Last February I was critical at the delay in inviting residents to contribute to development of the new Plan. But it was eventually developed. And residents were asked their views. The new Winter Service Plan was adopted on 12 October.

And council officers did listen and respond to a major demand from residents. As you may recall, during last year's heavy snow the chant went up: "What do we want?" "Grit Bins!" "When do we want them?" "Now!" And when the snow had melted leaving the whole country with potholes, this changed to: "Next winter."

So far? Well, the pavements I've walked on seem to be as crunchy as Ai Weiwei's exhibition at the Tate Modern. But the snow has come early.
I noticed Crouch End had grit all over but we in Downhills Park get none. I have lived here for three years and never seen grit in our street. Why is this? We pay the same taxes etc
Just got back from Northumberland with snow up to the armpits and the buses still running. You soft southern jessies!
Hahahahahahaha! Nice one Michael. Said the Norwegian.
Isn't it your bloody snow?
Yep - brought it with me on the 14:30 from Alnwick
Might be mine, brought it back from Oslo a few weeks ago, and noticed it's not in it's box anymore. Sorry about that everyone... never meant for it to escape.
We've still got a snowball in the freezer from last year - I'll check it hasn't got out!
A gritting truck (very heavy and noisy) has just been down my street twice in the last 10 minutes. Is there any grit on the road? NO.
John - If you are cheesed off - I could be worst as all the pavements and roads in the Gardens have been gritted but not WARWICK GARDENS. I am sure residents in Warwick Gardens are part of Haringey Council and they too like residents in Gardens or Ladder or wider Haringey pay Council tax - but at times when they need the services like "gritting" they are forgotten. Council needs to treat every road in its local authority equally

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service