Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A letter just dropped through y door asking for feedback. Here is mine:

"I hope the council considers the permanent closure of Wightman Road. Gradually commuters and long-distance drivers are realising they need to either use alternative main roads, or switch to public transport or cycling. The study shows that residents overwhelmingly do not own a car (61%), and prefer public transport, walking or cycling for their commute (82%)."

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 7055

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think this may answer the question:

What was the question?

[source: http://www.haringey.gov.uk/sites/haringeygovuk/files/existing_condi...]

For some reason, there is no option to reply to your earlier posts replying to mine, so have to do so here:

I do not and cannot accept your suggestion that the closure of Wightman Road has had nothing to do with the build-up of traffic on Endymion Road. It's just not logical. A major road has been closed, and no other route has been opened to take the pressure off. It's not just about additional journeys on Endymion Road, it's about additional journeys on Green Lanes as a result, which cause logjam at the junctions and thus the traffic on ER to back up. As I've said, I had never seen the traffic back up ER all the way to Oakfield Road regularly until the closure.

As to the graphic, I don't know what the question was, but it doesn't appear to answer any of mine.

I don't think you're using the word "logical" properly. Please see this Wikipedia article on Disappearing Traffic and feel free to add your thoughts.

I'll read the article and give it full consideration as well as my response, but you might in turn consider being a bit less snide. I haven't been rude to you, and my concerns are valid.

Sorry I did come across as rude. You meant "intuitive" and you said "logical" so it got my back up a bit.

Apologies in advance, but I did mean "logical", as I genuinely thought I was making some valid logical points. However, I do take your point in light of the article you've given me to read.

I do think it actually solidifies my point to a certain degree, though, particularly this bit:

"...the findings reinforce the overall conclusion of the original study—namely, that well-designed and well-implemented schemes to reallocate roadspace away from general traffic can help to improve conditions for pedestrians, cyclists or public transport users, without significantly increasing congestion or other related problems."

The closure of Wightman Road hasn't been off-set by any measures to compensate for it. I'm absolutely serious when I say that I will happily support the Living Wightman campaign if genuine, workable alternatives are proposed.

A counterpoint: TfL's most recent performance report cites “rising construction activity” as a major cause of congestion. A Guardian articles stated that the TfL report provide examples: "redevelopment schemes such as Lewisham Gateway and Nine Elms; the Elephant and Castle and Stockwell Cross junction transformations; road improvement schemes in Harlesden, Aldgate and Shepherd’s Bush; the installation of three of Boris Johnson’s cycle superhighways. Such endeavours lead to clogged, narrowed and blocked roads with obvious implications, as the same amount of traffic seeks to pass through a reduced amount of space."

Ben, I have never suggested that the closure of Wightman has had nothing to do with the build up of traffic on Endymion. My suggestion was that the effect of the Wightman closure on actual volume of traffic on Endymion - number of journeys per day - could conceivably have been neutral or negative.

As it happens though, the diagram indicates that the volume may indeed have increased.

Looking at the diagram, I am assuming you live on the section with 4344 journeys per day eastbound and 5050 westbound (between the hours of 7am and 7pm). The 4344 is likely to have increased towards 6224 i.e. increase of about 1900. The 5050 is likely to have decreased by up to 1812. So far the net effect is fairly neutral (although certainly causing significant extra load on Endymion vehicles exiting at the GL junction).

However another likely effect is some of the 3904 vehicles which previously exited west from Alroy onto Endymion, are likely to be driving west past your house in place of some of the previous 5050.

There will be all sorts of other factors affecting volume e.g. people avoiding the area or using other modes of transport. But on the whole I would not be surprised if you are seeing a net increase in volume. Hopefully there is a counter recording traffic on Endymion now so we will find out soon enough. The better we understand traffic movements, the more chance we have of devising effective solutions.

The biggest single problem though, as you say, is that the closure of Wightman has not been offset by compensating measures on Green Lanes.

That recognition was all I was asking, Joe; thank you for clearing it up, as I was (mistakenly) getting the opposite impression.

There have always been 10-minute queues on Endymion  at certain times of the day

The queues on Endymion are definitely worse, and at all different times of day. It took me almost half an hour to reach home from the park gates the other day, at 3 p.m. I did keep turning my engine off and on, to try and reduce the pollution of spending so much longer in traffic. I do feel for the people living on that road.

Although it's not a transport study itself, the new announcement by the Mayor of London is a significant contribution to this debate.  It contains proposals and a consultation on London's pollution from roads.

One of the proposals is to concentrate available lowest-emission buses on the most polluted roads ('clean-bus corridors'), which could be good for Green Lanes.

Another, significant for Harringay overall, is to expand the Ultra Low Emission Zone (due in 2019 and covering the Congestion Charge area only). It would be expanded to cover the whole area bounded by the North Circular and South Circular roads, and would therefore apply across Harringay/Haringey.

More detail on the proposals and consultation here (BBC) and here (TfL).

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service