Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Tags for Forum Posts: consultation, harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 6643

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Such a large shopping centre should never have been built there in the first place - there was no proper local consultation before it went ahead, and it definitely brings a huge amount of traffic to the area. Having said that, I do find it very useful as I can do a week's shop with my shopping trolley.

You won't need a shopping village there when Wood Green is London's Westfield of the North.

Brent Cross will be the new Westfield of London, IMHO. I'm pretty certain it has got planning consent and will receive a £1.4B makeover, doubling in size.

It has good public transport connections from Wood Green, and already has flagship stores committed to it, John Lewis, M&S, Fenwick.

Unlike Wood Green, it doesn't have an A road going through the middle of it, but has a dual carriage-way for motorists & deliveries on the South side - the North Circular.

IMHO the Wood Green Metropolitan (sic) Centre is a pure vanity project dreamt up in the restaurants & bars of Cannes during the annual LBH jollies on our tab to enrich Klare Kober's Klowns.

Still...must be a better topic of conversation than discussing how to fund & clear the refuse from the streets around here.

Finally, I imagine it will be up & running before a single brick is in place for WGMC.

I was kind of joking. But who thought Stratford would be a shopping destination 10 years ago?

Or Shepherds Bush.

I wonder though - the rate of change in shopping habits is very high, particularly for supermarkets. Will Sainsbury's really still want a huge supermarket there in even 5 years, rather than a smaller store on the ground floor of a block of flats?

With Homebase everything will rest on whether the new owners make enough money across their stores, and whether this particular store makes sense.

If the 2 big warehouse stores are no longer viable, then a redevelopment could easily incorporate the other current stores or something similar. 

For the future now, see the new B&Q on Holloway Road near the Nags Head (was the Post Office to give you an idea of size). It has no large back yard or warehouse - it's just a pick-up point, a paint mixing point and a design-your-kitchen/bathroom office. 

There is a new Sainsburys superstore being built into the ground floor of the new Smithfield Square flats on Hornsey High Street. Not sure if it's as big as the Arena one but seems to have parking for 100+ cars.

Don't forget the palace is going to become a major London attraction once again oif they manage to make a thriving theatre and everything else. I think wooders will get super busy traffic wise. The investors websites are billing Wood Green as one of top nine locations nationally to invest in property over the long term because of the imminent development.
Doesn't have to be if they restrict parking to blue badge holders. The South Bank Centre manages pretty well along those lines with 3 concert halls, a theatre and a cinema all on the site.
The National Theatre has a car park, and there's another one on Cornwall Road (I think).
But the vast majority arrive and depart on foot to the nearest public transport. The point I was trying to make (not very well) is that the provision for driving to a place isn't a law of nature like thermodynamics. It's an option and there are others that won't turn an area into carmaggedon! I remember being told about a job interview a planner from Stevenage had with a central London borough. He was asked what considerations needed to be taken when assessing an application for a new shopping centre. One at the top of his list was the provision of a lot of car parking, exactly the kind of thing the borough was trying to avoid. The automatic assumption that the needs of cars has to trump other needs is a purely cultural one.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service