Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The LCSP (traffic sub-group) and Living Wightman have contributed recently in the development of a resident led submission to Haringey in relation to traffic and the Ladder. I am pleased to share the "Fresh Start" document with you below. I have also copied the email circulated to the LCSP membership setting out the context of the Fresh Start document.

I am also pleased to share a joint letter from the LCSP and Living Wightman to Haringey setting out a request to extend the current Wightman closure until the Green Lanes Traffic Study reports back in December.

We welcome any constructive feedback and thoughts, and importantly ideas!

Justin Guest

Chair LCSP Traffic Sub-Committee

You will no doubt be aware of the fact the Green Lane Traffic Study is in progress. To contribute to this process the LCSP has coordinated with the Living Wightman Campaign to prepare a resident led submission document that has gone to the council. The “Fresh Start” document aims to characterise the problems faced by many Ladder residents as the Ladder has increasingly become a sacrificial zone as a result what has historically been weak traffic management planning on Green Lanes.

The document sets out the impacts of this weakness in planning, and how the application of ever more pressure on a narrower subset of roads in the borough to act as a relief valve has affected the Ladder.

The document is designed to provoke thought and offer insights to decision makers and influencers who may not be familiar with the area. The document goes further in proposing a partnership between the council and residents in what will hopefully be a long term effort to fundamentally change the profile of traffic flows across the Ladder and surrounding areas.

We also jointly make recommendations as to actions that can be taken to begin making meaningful progress in reducing the traffic burden on the area. We recognise the solution may not be a result of a single intervention, and as a result, as the Green lanes Traffic Study progresses, the Fresh Start document is designed to be a living document, which we hope to add to at appropriate moments and re-circulate to keep the discussion alive.

For those of you with feedback you are welcome to contact myself in the first instance.

Please also see attached the joint Living Wightman letter agreed at the last LCSP meeting requesting a temporary extension of the Wightman closure until the Green Lanes Traffic Study reports back.

Please note, the traffic sub-group will aim to meet next week. We do not have a date yet. We welcome the ongoing participation of Ladder residents, and if anyone would like to come along, or represent their road please let me know. You will be most welcome.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 5097

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

" serve many purposes - yes.

But not at the same time.

There's no point harking back to Victorian times. The world has changed since then. Perhaps not for the better, but it has changed.

The briefing I referred to was published in 2009 how is that "harking back"? The whole point is to reverse the damage of the past and look forward to a healthier, saner future. 

I'm not talking about your link, but about the many posts talking about photos of children playing in the street, people chatting etc. See Matthew Cuthbert's post no 7 above for example.

I nevery played in the street as a child either...my mother said only "street urchins" played in the street

I saw men playing on the street recently - with noisy remote controlled toy cars, which nearly caused me to fall off my bike.

With regards to the "significant majority" statement, I think I'm right in saying that this is taken from the door-to-door survey, the results of which are presented at the bottom of page 10.

If we assume that those results are accurate, it shows that over 4% of the 5,471 households in Harringay Ward were included in the survey results.  The survey recorded support, dissent and no preference. This is sufficiently statistically signficant enough to support the claim. So, on a numerical basis I think this statement is robust. 

Jessica, whenever any survey is done it is based on a statistically significant sample. A whole population segment is only ever questioned for the census. What Living Wightman did was to select a statistically significant sample as would any survey. For indicative purposes it is compleletely sufficient. I think you'll find it also compares favourably with the population proportions included in any local authority consultation. 

Living Wightman took 77% of the door-to-door survey as a significant majority - a fair statement on their part, I think

What sample size would you expect, Jessica?
Jessica, the polling industry would aim for a sample size of at least 380 in a population of 10,000 (3.8% of the target population) which would give a margin of error of +/-5%. The sample in this survey was nearer 10%
Jessica,I had exactly that problem with emails for a few days last week. I checked my settings and all was ok then on Thursday everything went back to normal. No idea why.

Jessica, yes we had been talking about the 233 (but I see that you've deleted your comments from last night. So I'm happy to close this chapter here).

Drop me a line if you're still not receiving your emails. My principal mail servers are with a domain host whose spam policy seems to vary. Just a couple of weeks back it got more aggressive and as a result I missed an important email. Most mail providers have a whitelisting facility. If you want to be sure of receiving all HoL emails, it's worth whitelisting the domain.

Jessica, I believe at least 7 roads were heavily surveyed, but a lot of other people were petitioned (outside the train station, and the bike event etc) who may not be clearly identified as from any particular road.

We would have liked to actually survey more, and we will continue to do so I am sure, but surveying is a time consuming process- and as I have said elsewhere, much of the campaigning is done by volunteers in their spare time.

With that, it is worth asking anyone else who is interested to get in touch, many hands and all that.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service