Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Council is obliged to submit a "Preliminary Flood Risk" assessment by the 22nd June, and we, as Councillors have been asked to highlight any local problems that we may be aware of with regard to drainage problems that occur through heavy rainfall.

I have already reported the perennial problem which is Green Lanes north of Frobisher Road. If anyone wants me to mention anything else, please add a posting here and I'll pass it on.

The information will need to be in by Friday the 17th. (Sorry about that, but we've had very little notice.) 

David Schmitz

Liberal Democrat Councillor for Harringay Ward

Tags for Forum Posts: flood, flooding, hampden road, hampden road leak, water leakage, wightman road, wightman road leak

Views: 550

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

See news of a flood & drainage survey here.

I have reported the leak along Wightman road several times during the past year. It looks like absolutely nothing has been done to fix it. With the recent rain the road has now become flooded in that area.

If you scroll-up you'll see that David Schmitz took this up in June. So it's probably best to contact him. Did you get replies from the Council to your reports about the leak? Perhaps these may be useful for David.

Last year HoL member Adam Coffman and I worked together about a leak at this point. (The photos below were taken by Adam.) N.B. It may not have the same cause as now. 

Then water was leaking from behind the fence in Wightman Road. Haringey Environment Department established that the cause was a blocked drain on the land occupied by Jewson. Surveyors from Network Rail thought the drain had been damaged by tree roots. Jewson (who leased the land) cleared vegetation and this seemed to work.

Adam was worried that the leak was a hazard for pedestrians and cyclists - especially if the water froze.
A bit more information here. 

Leaking drain Wightman Road N4

The leak is coming from the same place Alan - behind the fence in Wightman Road. So I don't think Network Rail/Jewson's solved the problem. I didn't get a response from the council because I hadn't requested one but when I next report it I will ask for one.

Thanks very much, Alan and "KP" for this update.

I've just been to see the problem and to describe it as "ponding" would be an understatement. Cars are swerving to avoid it, and where they do not, the spray is well over 6 feet high.

I particularly take the point about the risk of skids, should the road freeze. Needless to say, I will point this out to Council officers when I report it, which will be now.

To be fair, I believe that there has been some difficulty in discovering who owns the source from where the water is coming, and furthermore that the problem with drainage is not within the Council's control. That said, it is clearly intolerable for the Council to tolerate the situation persisting for as long as it has.

David Schmitz

Attachments:

Glad to hear you're chasing this David.

Though they may have told you about a problem of ownership, as I recall, last year it was clearly established. The freeholder was Network Rail and the leaseholder was Jewson. As you might expect, the dispute seemed to be about who was going to pay.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

P.S.

David, I checked with Adam Coffman and you're welcome to have copies of our email thread last year. Please let me know if this would be helpful.

Thanks, Alan. I think these will be useful when I get a response from the council officers.

Best,

David

I've just had a Council email saying that the site has been inspected and that remedial works have been ordered. The defect has been described as a "blocked gully".

David Schmitz

Not sure what if any remedial works have taken place to sort out the problem on Wightman Road but it's just as bad as it was a week ago. Cars are still having to swerve round the massive puddle and you have to cross the road to avoid being drenched.

If this weekend, the problem poses an immediate and serious danger to life and limb can I suggest someone rings the Council's Out of Hours service first thing tomorrow (Sunday). 020 8348 3148. Taking photos would be helpful especially if the Council officer can view them on their mobile to see the danger. But please remember that council staff may be dealing with a wide range of emergencies.

Cllr David Schmitz is dealing with this. I exchanged emails with him on 31 December. Unfortunately David is away at the moment but I'm sure he'll be on the case when he returns.

I've also been on touch with Adam Coffman. Last year Adam and I cooperated on trying to tackle this problem. Adam tells me that Jewson have said the flooding is not caused by a blockage on their land, but more likely in drains which the Council are responsible for maintaining.

The Council and Jewsons - or perhaps Thames Water(?) - need to get the bottom of this problem - literally! It seems to have been recurring for years.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Residents and users of Wightman Road will, I think, be encouraged at the following response which I received a few days ago from a Council officer with regard to the problem of drainage in that road near to the Jewsons store:

"I managed to visit the location during the recent [downpour] so I was able to see the issue you have raised. Clearly there seems to be a major issue regarding the drains either under the Jewson's car park or carriageway. I have spoken with Thames water regarding a possible joint site visit to discuss options as there is more involved here than a blocked gully.

Once the site visit has taken place, I will be in a better position to advise you further on actions to resolve this problem once and for all."

David Schmitz

Lib Dem Councillor for Harringay Ward

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service