Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

"FindMyPast" - who have digitised the 1901 & 1911 censuses - are having free access this weekend:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/freeweekend

This means you can download a scan of the census records for your house free (it normally costs a few £ for a number of downloads).

Many of the houses in this area were built in the years leading up to 1901 - some may also be in the 1891 census.

The info includes professions & birthplace - and you can see how many people were living in your house...

Tags for Forum Posts: census, history

Views: 2588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The best link for an address-only search is this one:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/1911-census-for...

& click on address.

The Lovedays lived at my address in 1911. Mr Loveday was Foreman at a Vinegar warehouse and I am sure Mrs Loveday must have been kept busy looking after their 10 children plus Mother in Law!

This is brilliant.  Thanks for sharing.

This is brilliant! Thank you very much for flagging it up. Have already spent a good hour tracking down information about relatives and also found out more about my house owners in 1911. I had only the name of the head of the household but now I know his age, his wife's name, how many kids he had and the fact that the house was sub-divided and there was a lady of private means living there! 

So much to chase up - that's my weekend sorted.

There are two families listed in my house in 1901 - eight people in a three-bedroomed house with no indoor loo. The 1911 census also has two listings for this address, a total of nine people, but strangely no data at all for the three houses next door.

I'd love to see the results for 1891 but can't seem to get an address-only search for that census. (I think my house was built by then?)

Maddy, it possible to do this on the Ancestry site but not on FMP as far as I can tell.  I can look it up if you'd like.

Part of your road will be Tottenham, the rest Hornsey. I couldn't find mine until I reset the filter to Middlesex ( I think) and then both bits of the road appeared.
Thanks for posting this, brilliant. Our house was home to the Watkins, husband, railway clerk, his wife (both 37 years) and his mother. It's funny to think we are all just passing through.

This is fascinating! After a lot of resetting of filters I discovered that my house was inhabited by two women in 1911: a mother and daughter - the daughter was in her thirties and a secondary school teacher and listed as the head of the family. 

More intriguing still, the family next door had moved to this lovely part of North London from Dulwich, South London just like me. Plus ca change...

In my house lived Maurice a 34 year old newspaper advertisement canvaser, American wife Caroline and their three year old American daughter Hellen. Thanks for the link.

In my house there lived a surveyor, his wife, four children, and a 17 year old servant!

I must be doing something wrong, cant find Lothiar Road south....

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service