Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just came out of the house to find someone rifling thru our dustbins - confronted the guy who was apologetic and said he was homeless. He went away with a christmas decoration he had hooked out of our rubbish. Has this happened to anyone else and should we be worried?

Tags for Forum Posts: bins, dustbins, homeless

Views: 2199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting, i often hear our bin lids going and wonder what it is, but i guess this explains it

for many monts snow i do pick up bottles cans etc and put them in a nearby recycling bin and maybe othars are doing that but i suspect it's also a bit of 'bin-diving' as someone on here calls it...

I don't really see much difference between going through bins (without leaving a mess or too much intrusion into property) and 'totting' through skips, something I have done myself when I've seen useful stuff thrown into them. If plastic bottles etc are being properly recycled into receptacles rather than a good chance of them ending up in landfill then good luck to those who can earn a few pennies doing it. If I have any scrap metal I always leave it out for someone to collect, and it soon goes, and the more polite folk even ask me if they can take it.

These aren't Wombles, unfortunately. I spent half an hour cleaning up after my bin ratcher, and it would be fair to say that he has left everyone in the house feeling decidedly unsettled. I don't think there's ever a justification for going thru people's bagged rubbish - it is intimate stuff, which is not for public consumption.

Also, leaving stuff out to be 'collected' by our enterprising friends is fine to an extent, but creates some unwelcome mood music in the street. You see loads of rubbish dumped in front gardens because people assume that 'someone' will take it (hence Harringay's mattress epidemic). My partner also noticed a team of 'recyclers' stripping the metal out of an abandoned fridge on one of our streets and then abandoning the rest. These people may be doing positive work for the environment, but their motivations are not exactly selfless, and neighbours may not welcome their repeated visits being rewarded.

Perhaps some enterprising person can make “No items of value are left in this bin overnight” stickers.

One man's trash is another man's treasure, Michael.

Hence why people are bin diving for recycling - it saves them money at Morrisons.

I’ve had issues with Bin Divers over the years, and contacted the police on a couple of occasions to be told that no law is being broken and once stuff goes into your bins it ceases to be private property, even if the bins are on your premises. 

not what I wanted to hear but that’s the long and short of it apparently. 

That seems quite straightforward. I wonder what the law is on skip-diving?

Not sure if that's true; by putting stuff in your bins you are intending it to go to the waste people, not to be picked through by scavengers.  BBC story here cites a case of someone being 'done' for taking items left outside a charity shop - the owner gave the property away for a specific purpose and to a specific recipient, so breaking that circle is theft. Having people going through your intimate waste on your property is also a pretty gross invasion of privacy, as well as being intimidating and unpleasant.

I agree with Cml.  It is scarcely credible that no law is being broken.  Surely a front garden is your property and the waste goods are yours until disposed of.   Of course it's not the property that matters but that as s a single woman, I would be extremely distressed and intimidated to find someone lurking just a foot or two away from my rooms.  What are the police thinking of to turn a blind eye.

They are too busy, I guess. Don't want to get all uppity about it, but if this sort of thing was happening the other side of the railway bridge, they'd have the SPG out to stop it.

Yes, you have to feel sorry for bin divers, or perhaps not.

Guess who had to pay for someone to come and clear it up ?

I think it is worrying that some poor sod is so desperate that an old Christmas decoration would be seen as worth diving in a bin for. An old woman was looking in my bin recently and when I asked what she was looking for she said she was hoping to find an old pair of shoes that she could make use of. A reflection on the society we live in.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service