Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Don't Forget - Wightman Road Closed for 5 months from Next Tuesday (29th March)

In case it's escaped your notice or slipped your mind, Wightman Road will be closed to through traffic for five months starting next Tuesday 29th March.

This will be a significant dislocation to North London traffic movement. So much so that warning notices have been placed as far away as Archway. No doubt it will also have a significant impact on Harringay's traffic.

However, there really is no alternative to at least partial road closure. The railway bridge between Alroy and Wightman roads is being replaced and there will simply be no road for a few months!

One option the Council could have taken would have been to simply reroute the traffic via the Ladder rung roads. It is to their credit, however, they recognised that with over 16,000  vehicles a day using Wightman Road, this would have placed an intolerable burden on our narrow residential roads, already beset by undue traffic volumes.

After consultation with residents, the solution decided upon is to place blocks at regular intervals along Wightman Road, in effect creating clusters of two or three rung roads. Whilst this will retain unfettered access for residents. it will render the whole Ladder, including Wightman, useless as a rat run. You can clearly see the details on the full size pdf map attached below.

Quite what it will mean for traffic in Harringay, Haringey and further afield remains to be seen. Those of us who have been working with the Council on this very much hope that traffic will quickly find other routes. It's fair to say, however, that at very best, we're going to experience some very heavy congestion on Green Lanes for a month or so. 

At the same time, the Harringay traffic study will continue. The coincident timing of this piece of work with the bridge closure may be fortunate in that it will give the consultants an opportunity to study the outcome of diverting traffic away from Harringay. 

A pdf copy of the Wightman Road closure is attached, along with some Council-produced documentation. You can stay up to date with what's happening on the Wightman Road closure on a dedicated page on the council website here.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 33772

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm with you Maddy. I'm not quite sure why the peace of the Ladder residents is considered so sacrosanct.....We've not had it up until now

Just driven down Oakfield and there is no warning notice about imminent closure of access, either there or on Tollington Park. Do we know if this is definitely going ahead?

Slightly off topic, but please also remember that your CPZ may soon get smaller...  

For example, if the CPZ is divided as proposed, residents living anywhere between Sydney Road and Beresford Road will no longer be able to park north of Turnpike Lane:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-travel/parking/parking-consultations/current-parking-consultations

If this affects you, you should respond by 28 March. Feedback can be left via the consultation page above..

Would you really prefer an extra 4,000 or so cars up Umfreville every day? That would result in traffic levels at about 500% of what you currently have.

We're going to get all the Jewson lorries up here anyway.

I could tolerate it for 5 months, yes, if it meant the entire area didn't grind to a total standstill. I still can't understand why parking on Green Lanes isn't going to be suspended.

It was one of the proposals put forward...

The Traders have a very powerful voice, and they consistently argue for parking so shoppers can come and use Green Lanes. I do not want to say that the reasons parking has not been suspended is down to them, in fact I think it may not be, but the suggestion was made to the council that parking on GL should be suspended with the possibility of redistributing it onto Ladder and Garden Roads (ie, make parking bays for 4-5 vehicles per road to make up the loss from GL.

Before anyone blows my head of, there is precedent for roads being used by 'visitors' historically, certainly on my road. This changed though when the CPZ was changed.

The traders aren't going to get much trade if cars choose a different route to avoid the congestion on Green Lanes...

I am sure it is not lost on them, and as I say I do think they were key to the decision not to remove parking... For what it is worth.

The traders might discover that it is people who spend money in their shops, not cars.

I'm not sure that allowing all those cars through Umfreville would avoid the standstill. Any way you look at it, you're going to get all the traffic from Green Lanes plus all the traffic from Wightman Road minus a few who can find a faster route, passing through the pinch point by the Arena shopping centre. The rung roads just aren't designed to take the extra volume of traffic.
You beat me to,it Will. If Wightman remained open traffic would still have to use Green Lanes at some point as it can't use the current exit on Alroy Road to Endymion so the net effect would be exactly the same.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service