Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

You may have noticed a certain lack of progress with finishing the works on Green Lanes. Well, this time round we can't look to blame thee Council or TfL. Apparently, we're waiting for a shipment of granite to arrive from China and it's being repeatedly delayed.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay regeneration 2012-13

Views: 3544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's a piazza, not a plaza. OK?

I demand a cockerny re brand! I think it should be called a 'square' unless they put a pizza vendor on there.

I applaud your pro-Italian sentiment, just not sure what the poor Spanish did to warrant your diss'ing of their cognate word http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaza

Well I agree if it stops smokers blocking and poisoning people trying to enter the pub through the St Ann's entrance then that might constitute one very small benefit to the plaza / piazza / "pocket park" palaver

Exactly! Sounds like bad management to me! Who else but he council is to blame?
Honestly, blaming it on a delay in the shipment, what next!

Why are they buying granite from China? Why can't it be bought in the UK, or at least in the EU? Do we really want public money propping up the dictatorial, human-rights-abusing regime in China? At the current rate of "completing" the works in Green Lanes, all of the new paving slabs will have been driven over by heavy vehicles and wrecked before "completion", so we'll just be back where we started. Like the new benches, though. Jolly good for taking a breather. Waiting so see the fabled new trees.

You may be all right with buying from a country that's a dictatorship and abuses its own people's human rights, and uses child slave labour. Some of us are not. I suppose you would have done business with Nazi Germany if you were around.

And what do you mean about "just because we have one of our own"? I don't understand that at all. Please explain.

The con dems...taking human rights away bit by bit, so that some of you won't notice.

To compare human rights in China and Britain is just ludicrous. The Chinese authorities' attitude to women's rights is apalling. The members of a Chinese Women's Institute would be sent away for re-education.

Granite from Devon, Cornwall, Scotland and Ireland paved the streets of London and dressed many of our major buildings so why are we shipping it all the way from China to do the same job.
A quick phone call revealed that we do still quarry and make granite paving in the UK and it is produced in quarries where regulations are strictly monitored and where consideration is given to environmental issues.
For example "......yield rates from De Lank are high, 3,000 tonnes of dimensional stone achieving 8,000 sq metres of sawn slab - this means that our prices remain competitive and sourcing in the UK negates the carbon footprint of imported granite.The De Lank site is also completely self sufficient having its own water source that is continually recycled and generating its own electricity which is also supplied to the national grid... we are truly the ‘green’ solution to your architectural needs."
De Lank Quarry, Bodmin, Cornwall. http://www.delankgranite.com/contacts.html
I'm not on some 'buy British' campaign, I just think that if a product is made relatively locally, issues such as carbon footprint and working health and safety regulations etc should play a part in tendering before ordering materials from the other side of the world. http://www.eldis.org/go/home&id=36044&type=Document#.U2zFQ3...
If these paving stones are damaged will they send out to China for replacements? Buying the cheapest is not always the most economical as shown by the present delays.

Everything comes down to cost! Carbon footprint, quality control and supply chain goes out the window.

I'm sure Aberdeen ( The Granite City ) could have supplied 20 or 30 paving stones, probably free of charge )

To be fair, I doubt if the Council actually specified Chinese granite - that decision would be made by the company which got the contract.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service