Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

21 FAMILIES WHO LIVE AT CONNAUGHT HOUSE, MUSWELL HILL ARE BEING MADE HOMELESS

The Metropolitan Police are planning to make 21 families homeless by reclaiming the land for profitable redevelopment. 

AS YET THEY HAVE NOT BEEN GIVEN PLANNING PERMISSION MEANING THESE BUILDINGS COULD LIE EMPTY (& OPEN TO VANDALISM) FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. 

By doing this, they will be ripping the heart out of the community that live here. 

Some of the residents, having lived here for over 20 years (and brought up children and raised families), have been informed by Crown Housing Association and Haringey Council that they have no legal obligation to re-house them, thus making them homeless. 
In the current climate, where Social Housing is already under extreme pressure, virtually non existent; is making another 21 families homeless, the best solution? Are the financial needs of the Metropolitan Police greater than those of people's lives? 

BAILIFFS ARE DUE THE 2ND WEEK IN MARCH!  (11th)

Local groups are getting involved, as well as Occupy London and Save Barnet Library.

Please come down and give your support.

They also have a Facebook page: Facebook: Save Our Homes

Tags for Forum Posts: Connaught House, community, eviction, homes, local, police, protest

Views: 3241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That was how it was run. Till Thatcher came in and started having all the Council housing sold off. She did not tell the people that none would be built to replace what was sold off.

Akin to selling your goods and not replacing them.

End result. A housing bubble.

Some residents that had been given the eviction dates of April 9th 2o13. Have been inform by letter today that their eviction date has been brought forward to march 11th 2o13. Resident Tracy Moore stated 'How can they expect me and my son to find some where and move within 6 days'.

Is there a possibility for a court order to prevent this? On what grounds have they moved it forward? They need to go to a housing solicitor immediately and get advice.

May have been due to Occupy London getting involved.

It would be interesting to see whether the Metropolitan Police will call Bailiffs to evict people. who will then call the Metropolitan Police to have the residents removed forcibly.

PLANNING MEETING FOR HOUSING PUBLIC EVENT

Planning meeting for Public Event (see below)

Wednesday 6th March

6.30pm at the Tollgate Pub

Turnpike Lane, N8

All welcome

In opposition to Government cuts to housing rights and benefits

WE DEMAND SECURE, AFFORDABLE, LOCAL DECENT HOMES FOR ALL

http://www.hapsnews.net/planning-meeting-for-housing-public-event/?...

N
OTE - This is not directly about the Connaught House issue....But Im sure it will come up

Ok, sorry but this is ridiculous. Where is the government going to find the money to keep all these people in social housing?
It needs to cut somewhere. Adults, please go out and look for a job.
I really hope that the people who need it are re-housed and the other ones make their way in the world.
I refuse to contribute my taxes to two ADULTS who want to live with mummy.

There are jobs out there, just today I passed by itsu (Japanese restaurant) and they are looking for people, on the ham and high there are several jobs as cooks/porters/ teaching assistants, etc
How comes that I can find jobs so easily (low paid jobs, not banking ones) and everybody else struggles?

It would be helpful if the ConDems would assist the HMRC in collecting the £35 Billion to £120 Billion corporate taxes that are currently being dodged.

You know £7Billion from Vodafone alone. Then there's Starbucks, Boots, Aracadia/Topshop.

You act like these people are some sort of scoungers. Leave that to the corporations who receive alot of benefits from the taxpayer.

Even the Daily Mail has admitted in their research that one in four corporations do not pay their taxes. If they ended paying the strain on the British taxpayer would not be as hard.

The ConDems would also not have an excuse to privatise the NHS to again enrich their corporate friends and masters.

Do you get angry about that or accept it like a good pleb?

I am equally FURIOUS that the big corporations don't paY their taxes., that the non-doms get taxed 10% of their income (if that). I think taxes are too high in the UK, but if you don't like it, leave the country.
I am also upset that councils have so many useless and overpaid jobs ( saw one up in Bristol paying 82,500, how crazy is that?).
When are we going to have a system where benefits are a social net, not a way of life, where everybody pays their taxes whatever they are (no tax planning, at all) and the councils have the people needed to do the job and serve the residents (their customers, believe it or not)

Is Maria waving the Sword of Truth or just calling a spada a spada?

Benefits as a way of life? You should stop reading the Daily Mail and the Sun.

How can £70.00 a week be a way of life? My travel costs £35.60 per week. Even if by bus, travel would cost £2.40 per trip. I know people who spend £30 per week on their heating because they have to use the key system.

Do you actually believe the benefit scroungers with 50" TV stories are the norm? By the way I checked. You can get a 50" LCD for £423.00 nowadays. We will most likely start hearing of benefit scroungers with 68" LCD's. Those cost £2,100.00 each.

As for the three generations on benefits story. They don't exist.

The large families of 11 or more children? There are 190 in the country.

I prefer to concentrate my energies on the corporations who are robbing the country with the collaboration of the politicians.

This is entirely anecdotal, but there is a council house across the road from us and a young(ish) family moved there a couple of month ago. They dont have any curtains so we can literally watch TV programmes through our windows and they have two ginormous flat screen TVs in both rooms that are visible from the street. Its kind of funny, really. They also have 2 cars.

Generally, I’m pro welfare state but I think there should be limits and proper checks to ensure that council houses go to people who actually need them. And definitely not for life.

Why shouldn't they have these things? And why shouldn't a home be for life? I'd be horrified if someone told me I had to move out of mine, wouldn't you?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service