Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I got my leaflet today stating that from October you have to pay £75 a year for garden waste collection. Further bulk collections will cost £25 for 4 items then £10 per item. If the dustman break your wheelie bin or you don't have one you have to pay £30.

I rang Haringey who transferred me to veola. Veola say it's Haringey council who decided they need to save 20 million for social care.

I am disgusted. I have lived in this borough for 53 years and all this is going to do is make people dump rubbish in the streets in a borough that has the worst fly tipping in England.

As far as saving money for social care, already the council tax bill went up to cover this. Haringey council should stop wasting money on other things.

I for one will not pay £75 and I suggest Haringey think again..

Tags for Forum Posts: garden waste, waste collection charges

Views: 7878

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes definitely interested.

I'm in

I would like to come if not working.

Thanks all who've been digging away into this - am very pleased to hear that it sounds there is an option for those of us who can't have/don't want yet another bin.

But how very inept not to say a little bit more in the leaflet to try and anticipate the obvious practical issues that so many people would wonder about on reading it and thinking how it would suit their own circumstances.

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of charging for specific services, my concern is that this will just lead to increased fly tipping unless Haringey really really get their act together on enforcement and start dishing out the fines.

Fly tipping!? No way! Tonight I am going to steal ALL the wheelie bins in Harringay and set up a website to sell them for £29 a piece. The council have unwittingly created a market for a previously "meh" commodity.

Such an entrepreneur! Seeing a business opportunity! 

Zena

Zena Brabazon

Cllr, Harringay ward

I really admire this method of dealing with the wheelie bin problem in Harringay:

It's in Atterbury Rd if anyone wants to take a look.

They have to build an extension now to accommodate a third bin

Yes...great but where do they now put their other bins?

Seperate charge.

The same thought occured to me this afternoon. My white garden bags have been nicked. So 'paid for' sacks would most likely go for 'walks' if Veolia don't ensure they are returned out of sight - perhaps stuffed in the green bin or such. I promised in an earlier post I would email Veolia about making sure promises on sacks are kept. I shall add this issue to the list.

The white sacks are perfect for growing potatoes in. Mine never last more than a week or two even though I try to bring them in as soon as poss.

My bag always used to be returned, tucked under bin lid, until a couple of months ago when it disappeared 2 weeks running (I had 2 of them). Veolia delivered a new bags promptly and I dutifully wrote my address, one disappeared again the next week so I used an old bag / box to put green waste out. Last week used the new bag - and by magic the first new bag (do keep up) re-appeared! I can only put it down to regular crews being on leave, or maybe the bag went in with the green stuff and eventually gets sifted out again.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service