Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

There has been a bit of support for taking photos of rubbish left on The Ladder streets on one day in the summer - Sunday 9 July. The idea is that all the photos are posted on this discussion, one post per street with pics, and then forwarded to the Cabinet Member for Environment.

http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/rubbish

It not a major undertaking, just up one side of the street and down the other, not forgetting the bits at the tops and bottoms of the road on Green Lanes and Wightman.

So far we have the following rubbish photographers

Justin Guest - Pemberton
Kotkas - Mattison and Duckett
Me - Warham, Seymour, Allison and Beresford (and Lausanne if my legs hold out)
Els - Sydney and Raleigh
Osbawn - Avondale
John D - Hampden and Frobisher
DS - Fairfax and Falkland
Hugh - Hewitt
ThaiDi -Hermitage
GraemeTP - Effingham
Gordon T - Cavendish and all points south

Michael

Tags for Forum Posts: dumping, rubbish, veolia, waste collection, waste collection charges

Views: 6936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cavendish, west to east.

1) Corner of Wightman Rd

2) Along Harringay Passage, and at the crossing on Cavendish Rd

3) Nearer Green Lanes

(bike tyres well flat, metalwork rusting)

By flats at back of Dostlar. Note pavement already narrowed by scaffolding.

On Green Lanes by Cavendish (taken around 1915, well outside the put-out-rubbish hours of 0800-0900 and 2130-2300)

Right by the pedestrian crossing. Any old pole will do to dump against.

Burgoyne Road, east to west.

1) A bagscape along Green Lanes

2) Any ledge will do

3) Overflowing bin and consequent rubbish spreading along pavement

3) Harringay Passage, Burgoyne - Cavendish

4) But these raised the spirits!

5)  Narrowed pavement, possibly unstable panelling, debris on road

6)

7) 

Railway Approach 

I think it may have been Justin who once said that if the council just picked up all the white-goods dumped in the borough really quickly then they would meet their carbon targets easily. The council can also meet their carbon targets by cladding their housing infrastructure in wool and aluminium but that has drawbacks.

But the 'metal fairies' usually get there first, John!

Not always John. And that is my point.
Why do Veolia vans sails past and and not Pemberton ck these things up as they drive around. Why do the people wearing kit saying 'single front line' not act like a single front line and report these things- leaving it to those residents that give a monkies make the effort. It is not a single front line and it is not joined up.

It was John- in fact I spoke to the Head of Energy and Carbon management about it the other day and repeated it. The effort going into reducing a tonne of CO2 via energy efficiency is very high, but with older fridges and freezers the refrigerant in them is often HCFCs which have a warming potential that is extremely high. Ie a kg of refrigerant can be as much as 1.7t CO2 equivalent. Its simple, stop your van, pick up the fridge and dispose of appropriately... 

I am not sure I got the guy's attention with that thought however.

Well it can supposedly cost £10 million to clad a tower in wool and aluminium to meet carbon targets but the suspicious resignation of two directors at Shelter makes me realise that someone else is having meetings with councils about how to reduce carbon and they're selling a solution. You know you can spend £49.99 on them at lunch and they don't have to declare it (it's £25 in an investment bank)?

What we need to do is setup a fridge/freezer disposal business and find some way to charge the council for the 1.7t of carbon we've removed each time.

Based on the    five   refrigeration units in Sunday's pictures, that's 8.5t CO2.

Umfreville Road, east to west, plus Wightman Road between Endymion and Duckett.

1) By Green Lanes. Bike frame+wheel and orange bike are long-term dumped

2) A favoured dumping spot, between the last house and the medical practice. Usually more than well ordered drinks here (someone had lined them up together between morning (spaced out) and 7 pm).

3)

4) By Harringay Passage, another favoured dumping spot (taken at 1800)

And an update (taken at 1920, 80 mins after the previous picture)

5) By the New River (note:  this was the only littering I could spot on the New River banks between Cavendish and Endymion)

6)

7) Broken glass across pavement, hazardous for dogs

8) Wightman Rd between Umfreville and Burgoyne (rest of road between Endymion and Duckett clear)

a) corner of Umfreville Road, nearly always bags here, may be a Veolia collection point?

b) near the garage (note: I could see no trade waste from any of the businesses on that stretch of the road, all were tidy including the tyre place at the top of Burgoyne)

Green Lanes between Umfreville and Endymion - rubbish on street about 1800, outside permitted putting-out hours of 0800-0900 and 2130-2300

And lastly, Disraelian Delights. Saved the best till last, I have.

A    Endymion Road.  Clear of all intrusive rubbish that I could see.

B    Alroy Road.  Also clear.

C    Lothair Road South. Covered by     kotkas     a few pages above.

D    Coningsby Road

E     Tancred Road.    Clear

F    Venetia Road.    Clear

G    Lothair Road North

The garden's full up with building rubbish, too

Corner of Sybil Mews, back of the Beaconsfield

H    Sybil Mews, which wins the prize for the biggest pile of rubbish on a passageway

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service