Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

There has been a bit of support for taking photos of rubbish left on The Ladder streets on one day in the summer - Sunday 9 July. The idea is that all the photos are posted on this discussion, one post per street with pics, and then forwarded to the Cabinet Member for Environment.

http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/rubbish

It not a major undertaking, just up one side of the street and down the other, not forgetting the bits at the tops and bottoms of the road on Green Lanes and Wightman.

So far we have the following rubbish photographers

Justin Guest - Pemberton
Kotkas - Mattison and Duckett
Me - Warham, Seymour, Allison and Beresford (and Lausanne if my legs hold out)
Els - Sydney and Raleigh
Osbawn - Avondale
John D - Hampden and Frobisher
DS - Fairfax and Falkland
Hugh - Hewitt
ThaiDi -Hermitage
GraemeTP - Effingham
Gordon T - Cavendish and all points south

Michael

Tags for Forum Posts: dumping, rubbish, veolia, waste collection, waste collection charges

Views: 6936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes. The 240 litre bin will be supplied "as standard"  "but in special
circumstances eg. a front garden is too small to accommodate a standard size bin,
the other options listed above may be possible subject to a site visit." These other options will be 140 litre bin and sacks. Both £55 per year. This new charge will begin on 23 October 2017.
We consider ourselves lucky to have a back garden with enough space for a compost bin. But at the front we have a narrow strip of concrete plus a hedge. Just enough room for two bins and one or (maximum) two bags of green waste. My guess is that the charge may be aimed at discouraging the green waste collection without actually saying that.
What will many people do with their green waste? Again I'm guessing: (1) Add it to the general waste bin; (2) Find a nearby blank wall and hope nobody is looking. And if they do see the plastic sacks, they might open them and add some boxes, banana peels and a few empty cans.

Rubbing salt in the cuts, our Council's PR team won't actually be using the word "cuts". They'll call this dysfunctional stupidity "savings", as if they've found clever new ways to make the money go further.

I misread your post, thinking that our bin options would be decided after a "state visit". Though perhaps that's what you meant!

In my street they will revert to chucking it over the fence into Railway Fields...

What about the food waste? I gave up composting in the garden sue to problems with rats moving into the bin, but even if I start it up again I can't put all the hedge clippings etc in as they're too woody and too bulky.

This borough is a disaster.

Or chucking it towards the nearest street bin

Our garden is tiny and we only fill and put out our small-ish garden compost bag for collection about 3 or 4 times a year, so I don't think we won't be paying £50-70ish a year to have it taken away. Does anyone know if there's a compost section at the recycling centre? I'd be happy to take it there instead.

I share your concern. One thing that always puzzled me was why e.g., fridges are dumped when they were collected free anyway. 

Coincidentally one or my two rubbish bins (not the recycling one) was stolen sometime between last night and this morning--I would think this morning post collection.  I am not hugely bothered as I didn't want two anyway (carry over from the house's HMO past) but I still am annoyed by robbers.

Fridges are dumped because it's easier than picking up the telephone.

It isn't easier but not everyone knows about the, currently rather quick collection. I checked for a neighbour they said book by phone and collection within two days.

My suggestion some time ago was to replace the Cllr Joe Goldberg vanity Logo panels on the side of Veolia's trucks with something actually useful: advertising the details of our recycling services.

Years earlier I passed on a suggestion from another Tottenham resident: to treat dumped fridges as a "temporary noticeboard" with a sticker advertising the free collection. That was rejected with some sort of excuse about not using sticky paper.
With the 101 Council there are almost always 101 reasons why not.

Well, as they are going to cost £30 to replace soon, maybe someone has spotted the opportunity for a bit of entrepreneurship. £15 washed and refurbished!

Please don't shuck out £15 then for the smaller sized one that (I think) has "_6" scrawled into it!

I can only hope that as part of the wash and refurb they got some of the maggots that were in my organics bin to make the job extra disgusting.

It was trailed here, but I hadn't heard any more. So thanks for the update.

You have flagged a good point here Alan. I had 2 green waste bags in my front today, one from my hedge, one from the clippings and dirt around the Pemberton Planters, that I cleared up at no cost to the council. As much fresh organic material as possible goes into my compost bin out back, but I can see that in future anything I cannot compost is likely to go into the black waste bin.

The council/ Veolia will then have to sort it when collected as it will not be allowed into landfill! 

Bonkers.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service