Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Today Liz & I met with Brian Ellick, interim team leader for the street enforcement wardens. Appointed to post just under four months ago, I started a dialogue with him about two months ago. He agreed to meet following several months of agitation on this site about estate agents' signs on Green Lanes.

The meeting was postive. In summary:

• About a month ago he and his team undertook a detailed survey of signs in Green Lanes and the surrounding roads in Harringay.
  • There is now a plan to remove all illegal signs in conunction with planning enforcement, health & safety & trading standards.
  • Initially the approach will be by seeking the companies coo-operation.
  • Failing that enforcement action will be taken

I liked Brian and I believe he means to achieve what he says he will. But, as ever the proof of the pudding will be etc. And, of course he has to be confirmed in his interim role!

In reply to my question on when we might start to see some results of his actions, he agreed that we could be in touch again in 28 days at which time he'd update me.

Let's be positive and see what happens.

Tags for Forum Posts: estate agents, estate agents signs, signs

Views: 227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great, well done. Fingers crossed.
I agree with Hugh that Brian definitely gave the impression that he meant business. Here's hoping that the estate agents will play ball and co operate with him and his team.
Not that I mind creating employment, do you think his salary could come from the missing 5.5 million council tax. Let's join the dots for a change and get a council that's fit for purpose. Is that too much to ask for?
Hugh, let us know when you hear, they may be working behind the scenes, but to me it looks like nothing's done. I hope this guy is not just full of talk..
He said that he wants to start by working with the estate agents which is reasonable but could also be an excuse for inaction. But I think he means well, so let's give him a chance.
He's had a month, should he not let you know what's happening now?
You can't work with the estate agents, they don't care. They need to be told, otherwise they will not bother. Being nice does not work with them.
Had my follow-up call with Brian Ellick today. In summary:

1. Brian's plan was to start with the worst offender - Paul Simon.
2. Haringey's survey identified 43 illegal signs by Paul Simon on the Ladder & GL (the pilot area).
3. PS were sent a notice requiring their removal.
4. 27 signs were removed. PS claim that the remainder are legal.
5. Brian has asked PS to supply evidence to substantiate this claim.
6. We have agreed to speak again in one month. During that period Brian has said he will roll out the action to the other offending estate agents. By the end of the period he will also know whether PS have come back to him with evidence to support their claims of legality and will be in a position to determine whether to take legal action.

I asked Brian about the long-term sustainability of this approach. He explained that policing the situation was difficult. I accept that there is a limit. I said that, for my money, residents & traders should be willing to share the policing - by keeping an eye out for and collecting evidence on signs. I imagine that if a strong message is sent to the EAs over a year period or something, the need for continual "policing" will reduce.

In this connection, Brian has also committed to ensuring that the information necessary to enable this is made available to residents & traders, i.e.:

In simple terms:

a. What is the law on EAs displaying signs.
b. What is an infringement of the law.
c. What evidence will help the Council take enforcement action.
d. Who is the contact.

So, on balance, Brian is delivering what he said. A good start, but I remain cautious. I know there are those who'll complain that we pay our rates and it shouldn't be up to us to help police enforcement action. Two things on this:

1. In the real world they ain't gonna put a huge amount more resources to enforcement - or at least I wouldn't advise holding your breath for the day they do.

2. If they do allocate more resources, where's it to be from or would you be willing to pay more Council Tax?

In my view, if we want action taken, we need to be prepared to step up, share responsibility ourselves and do our bit.
When someone posts a web page about objecting to a conversion etc... I usually (lazy me) object. This guy needs a web page... Phoning someone at 10pm is just not profitable.
Que!??
John, what are you talking about??
Nice one, Hugh. It seems he's almost as good as his word this guy. I agree with you, we need to share responsibility.

Ben, I'm up for doing that walk we talked about, and then repeat it after 2 weeks to see what's still there.
I think we need to get back to what we planned a while ago Ben.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service