Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Spotted five in the house so far this year - and have killed them all.

No1 - spectacularly slain using Yellow Pages
No2 - clubbed to death with glasses case
No3 - stomped into hall carpet
No4 - stomped into kitchen floor
No5 - clubbed to death with plastic bottle

Can anyone in Harringay beat my average?
Alternatively, can anyone else tell me an effective way to stop these horrible things getting into the house?

Tags for Forum Posts: cockroaches, pests

Views: 289

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is this business about them spreading eggs when you squish them real or an urban myth?

A few years ago I was staying in a hotel in Gran Canaria and the gardens around the pool were scuttling with whoppers (as they seem to be everywhere in the Canary Islands).

The staff told us that if we squished them the eggs would spread and hatch, but one of the maids told me that the reason they tell tourists this is that squished cockroaches are hard to clean up!

Thinking about it logically, the eggs inside the body aren't yet developed (otherwise they would have been laid) so are they really viable enough to hatch? Sounds like a question for "Notes and queries" unless we have a biologist on the site.
I'm sure they are harmless but (like Liz) they awaken some primal terror in me. So much so that I couldn't even bring myself you click on your links in case there were pictures of them!

On the aforementioned hol in Gran Canaria, the appearance of a particulaly humungus beast led to a group of big lads from Huddersfield climbing on top of sun beds and screaming until a maid (about four foot nothing) came and whacked it with a broom.
I FIND 'cockies' revolting, but as a species, they're more successful than us: I have heard they outnumber us by a big margin. They were around before our species and they may out-last us.

Is it true that if humans blow themselves up with nuclear weapons, 'cockies' may survive because they would be unaffected by the resulting radiation?! Or will they survive with mutation? Don't get cockie with me, now.
Japanese children keep cockroaches as pets and they can buy special cockroach houses for them. They are often represented as cute animations for them, cultural differences eh?
I wasn't keen, especially on the big black flying ones, which the Japanese kindly squished for me when I was reduced to a shaking mess faced with one.
FLYING Cockroaches.

I'm moving to the Himalayas!
we had oriental ones in the summer which seemed to come from our shower drain?? and they then lived behind our fridge.....i was in denial for awhile thinking they were large beetles until one night i came down to get milk for the baby, turned on the light and found 5 having a party so i drowned them all with flash bathroom spray.....got pest control in who said if i saw 5 i would probably have alot more.....so spray/gel/traps etc - none more so far.....i would find their wee egg things they laid and crush them into the bin as advised....... think/hope in winter they are not as common......only bugger is last night i spied a wee mouse in the kitchen........if its not one thing its another....any tips on the mice front........
We have a mouse v cockroach war at home too
C'mon Harringay Online users - which is worse?
There's only one way to to decide. FIGHT!
Roaches are a million times worse, they're horrid, disgusting, yucky (have run out of words here..) - you get the picture.
At least with mice you can get a cat to keep the population under control.
Iona, get a cat! Best suggestion I have.
On the mouse front, I can only second Anette, nothing got rid of my mouse problem in my flat until I got a cat, then the only ones I saw were the ones that he brought to show us, still alive sometimes.
thanks for tips...i think you are right........i think as the houses either side of us have cats they are opting for our house!!! i will have to work on my other half....cheers!!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service