Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A newly published study has placed Haringey as the 230th happiest place to live in the UK. Based on data from the British Household Panel Survey and the Census of the UK population, the study was funded by the Economic and Social Research Council and compiled by the University of Sheffield in collaboration with the University of Manchester.

Well, at least we weren't bottom. See here for more.

Now, how do we make our bit of Harringay a happier place?

Tags for Forum Posts: demograhics, geodemographics, happiness, research, study

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The article I read on this had us Haringey folk at 219. Hurrah! A climb of 11 places since 4pm.
btw
Here are the questions if you want to test this yourself (courtesy of the Independent)
Nothing about quality of kebabs but surely a factor?!
British Household Survey's 12 questions

1) Have you recently been able to concentrate on what you are doing?

a) better than usual
b) same as usual
c) less than usual
d) much less than usual

2) Have you... lost much sleep over worry?

a) not at all
b) no more than usual
c) rather more than usual
d) much more than usual

3) Have you... felt that you are playing a useful part in things?

a) more than usual
b) same as usual
c) less than usual
d) much less than usual

4) Have you... felt capable of making decisions about things?

a) more than usual
b) same as usual
c) less than usual
d) much less than usual

5) Have you... felt constantly under strain?

a) not at all
b) no more than usual
d) much more than usual

6) Have you... felt you could not overcome your difficulties?

a)not at all
b) no more than usual
d) much more than usual

7) Have you been able to enjoy normal day to day activities?

a) more than usual
b) same as usual
c) less than usual
d) much less than usual

8) Have you been able to face up to your problems?

a) more than usual
b) same as usual
c) less than usual
d) much less than usual

9) Have you been feeling unhappy and depressed?

a) not at all
b) no more than usual
d) much more than usual

10) Have you been losing confidence in yourself?

a) not at all
b) no more than usual
d) much more than usual

11) Have you been thinking of yourself as a worthless person?

a) not at all
b) no more than usual
d) much more than usual

12) Have you recently been feeling reasonably happy, all things considered?

a) More than usual
b) same as usual
c) less than usual
d) much less than usual.

Score, out of a total of 36: a) = 0; b) = 1; c) = 2; d) = 3.

Score 0 and you're the happiest person in the kingdom; score 36 and you're the unhappiest
Happiness is over-rated.
I can't say I'm surprised at the score.
I think questions 3 and 4 are quite interesting about playing a useful part and making decisions given the discussions on community empowerment. Now why should somewhere like Islington feel so much happier than Haringey? There are bits of Islington I wouldn't like to wind up in as well as the posh bits, just like in Haringey. How come they rate higher? Is this little more than 'an image problem' or do Islington have better mechanisms for engagement and getting things done?
There's a bit in the Guardian about this today (here if you are interested). Each of the areas they examined contained (roughly) 20 people. So the results for Haringey could feasibly be based on a few people in Tottenham and a few more in Muswell Hill (and nobody in Harringay at all). Which means that none of the differences they talk about between different council areas are remotely significant in a statistical sense; all a lot of nonsense really! The researchers said they made this quite clear to the journalists, though you could argue they had no job even bothering to report it under these circumstances.

Not to knock the overall survey, which looks at very interesting things; it just wasn't designed to look at differences at the kind of local level reported here.
This reminds me of when I looked up the consultation 'stats' for Clr Haley's 'majority of people happy with street cleansing' and discovered that it appeared to be based on 3 focus groups and the opinions of 14 people in all, with not even a breakdown on how many people attended from each area or how they were selected. And from this the council announced that the majority of people were satisfied.
I liked the idea that they may have just asked miserable people in Edinburgh, my experience of the Scottish people is if there is a bit of dark humour to be got out of something they'll go for it. So maybe the Scots were winding the surveyors up...I personally think Edinburgh is a stunning city, clean and well cared for and full of atmosphere.
Yes, the findings for Edinburgh were the ones that really made me smile, seeing how it regularly gets voted one of the top ten places to live in the UK!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service