Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Posted by Jo on 17 April 2008 at 12:12pm (Moved from now defunct "What I'd like to see changed around here is......"

I'm getting very angry with people throwing their litter on green lanes and on the residential streets off it, especially round the bus stop when the bin is a metre or two away from them. I told a girl who threw her cigarette packaging on the floor the other day that there was a bin right in fron of her to throw litter she who was about my age but really didn't seem to care and was very uncooperative. I have only lived in the area less than area but it would look so much nicer if there wasn't litter everywhere!

Tags for Forum Posts: litter, rubbish

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Reply by Liz on 17 April 2008 at 1:38pm (Moved from now defunct "What I'd like to see changed around here is......")

I agree with you Jo and it is very difficult to challenge people as there does seem to be a prevailing attitude that once litter has left your hand it is no longer yours , or even, as I heard a mother tell her daughter, it gives the street cleaners something to do. A few more litter bins might help but I fear that for some, it would be a challenge to use them even if they were every 10 metres. The large number of fast food places in the area are also part of the problem as is street drinking, especially as the council saw fit to not include the harringay passage in its no drinking zone.
In America, parts of roads are often adopted by businesses and organisations and regularly litter picked, perhaps the estate agents, fast food joints and betting shops could be encouraged to put a bit back by doing the same on Green lLanes but stopping Londoners using the streets as one giant litter bin, well I'd love to know how to achieve that.
Reply by Birdy_Too on 17 April 2008 at 4:45pm (Moved from now defunct "What I'd like to see changed around here is......")

The council see it fit not to implement any laws, apart from traffic fines obviously.

You can have all the street cleaners / bin lorries you want, the problem is the people and the disrespectful attitude they have to their community. Until people are educated and offenders prosecuted, they will continue to see it as a right to dump anything where ever and when ever.
Reply by Liz on 17 April 2008 at 6:13pm

B2 I agree but we have had more 'Keep Britain Tidy' campaigns than you've had chip dinners and it seems that not much changes with regard to people's attitudes to dropping stuff on the floor. Modern grazing lifestyles, a general 'F*** you' attitude if you challenge low level anti social behavior, lack of pride in the neighbourhood which is not helped by a lack of enforcement, bizarre attitudes that seem to think that the council should do everything for you even pick your gum/fag packets/chicken boxes up for you...litter just ain't sexy like baby seals or organic socks, its what moany old people care about. What we need is a picture of 50 cent or Frank Lampard picking up litter...
Hi Liz & all,

From an early age I have always been concerned about littering. I think much of it declares an attitude of how unconnected certain individuals are from their local community. I agree that we need something like 50 cents or an equally famous individual or individuals to give examples in throwing litter in the right places. It is a shallow and ignorant act that constantly needs to be challenged.

Although, I think a stronger relationship involving the local retailers in the area would be more productive, with posters telling all customers in all shops that littering is a pathetic and facile thing to do, and is disrespectful not only to the local community but also to the planet.
Great idea,

Why is it always everyday people like ourselves who have to make the real changes in life? (excuse my moan)

This sounds excellent to me :-)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service