Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This from Haringey Council's Website:

Haringey Council is commissioning research on the effects of the Gambling Act 2005 and its impact on crime levels and on young and vulnerable people in specific areas.

The research will involve working with other councils and organisations detailing concerns about the current legislation.

This plan follows the Council Licensing Committee's rejection of two applications for new betting shops in Green Lanes by Metrobet Limited and Better, and of an Adult Gaming Centre by Frankice.

The Metrobet and Frankice decisions were recently overturned by the Highgate Magistrates in two of the first ever cases to go to appeal under the Gambling Act 2005, with high costs awarded against the Council on both appeals. The Licensing Committee has consequently elected not to contest an appeal by Better.

Said Cllr Nilgun Canver, Haringey Cabinet Member for Enforcement and Safer Communities:

"Residents were extremely concerned and we were the one of the first councils in the country to fight a case at appeal. We will continue to try to protect our residents where we believe vulnerable people could be adversely affected or that significant crime will result from particular gambling establishments.

"This was a test case on the new law. Having looked closely at the outcome of the appeals, and taken expert legal advice, we are now looking at what more we need to do to effectively address the issues that our residents have raised.

"For the future, it is clear that we need the active support of partners including the police and health authorities and an active dialogue with the managers of gambling establishments to ensure that residents are not adversely affected by gambling."

Tags for Forum Posts: betting shops, gambling, green lanes, local ideas, third space

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Hugh,

OK - will explore the ideas further and include this social network in on the discoveries and information as they unfold :-)
I don't think it sounds nuts either. A truly sustainable community offers more than a place to spend (or lose money), it needs spaces where people of all ages can spend time being or enjoying creativity. Part of the 'Grand parade vision' that some of us on here discuss from time to time involves restoring the beauty of the buildings and using them in ways that encourage people of different generations to use them at all times of the day. Hugh often throws up ideas like 'living spaces' (can't find the link to the discussion now, perhaps Hugh'll post it) which would offer opportunities for just what you're talking about (and we'd plant plenty of trees and make little gardens). We got to start somewhere so keep fantasizing...there's lots of people having the same fantasies.
Hi Liz,

I think that it may good to set up a mapping project that relates to local areas in Harringay. I am not sure if you have ever heard of the art practice called 'psychogeography'?

It merely relates to people using ad hoc D.I.Y maps that take people to areas where they would not usually go to or visit in their everyday life - a sidestep from A to B traveling or walking.

This blog could be a resource for people to use, with maps created by its users. People can create personal diaries, sound files and videos of their experiences and upload them in response to their given journeys locally.
behaviour.

An alternative way of using Green Lanes, other than shopping :-)
This website has picked up the story 'GamblingCompliance.com'
who
helps clients and their advisers reduce exposure to regulatory risk by providing timely information on an advanced web based platform allowing clients to monitor, track and receive updates on regulation, best practice, sectors, geographies and competitors worldwide.

http://www.gamblingcompliance.com/node/14779
Councillors, any update on this?
I assume, Hugh, that you've also emailed Nilgun Canver directly. She is leading on this issue as the "cabinet" councillor with the policy remit. (As distinct from the Licensing Panels which are quasi-judicial and apply existing law.)

Meanwhile, the separate issue raised by Marc is quite fascinating. And the answer may surprise many people.

If I properly understand the 'vision', then in one sense this beneficial and open "community" space is precisely what the Council can and should do. And in some cases it does. Something like this happens in our libraries, for example.
(And I do hope they will invite Iain Sinclair to talk about his new book !)

Unfortunately, the Council has not always acted as a 'trustee' for all of us. By which I mean, giving priority to safeguarding publicly-owned land and buildings on behalf of the community as a whole.

Instead sectional interests have often prevailed. In the worst cases, scarce and valuable public buildings have passed into private hands without the full value being realised . (Which should also come back to benefit the public finances.) Leases have been granted without ensuring that the medium and longterm public interest is properly safeguarded.

This is not a blanket criticism of everyone and every organisation which has bought, or occupies, or leases a publicly owned building. Lots of valuable work is done by them for the community; and many essential services are delivered this way.

But there are some fundamental weaknesses in the present system. These have been and continue to be exploited by a minority for their own personal interests.
Yup, I did mail Nilgun - wouldn't be fair otherwise.

Thanks for picking up on Marc's idea again. Wonder if we can prevail to get him moving on this.

I think Alan, this is where Council support could really make a difference. I wonder how much more inspired to action Marc would feel if:

a. someone in authority said, "Look, that's a wonderful idea. We really see the value it could have. Could you sketch out briefly how it might work, then I'd love to sit down with you for half an hour and see if we could make it happen".

b. Even better if a little seed funding or help in finding partner funding could be offered.

Council as inspiring enabler / coach rather than as parent.
I just came across this old post and wondered what became of this research.

I was able to find the attached committee report from January 2009 which pretty much said, actually no we won't do any research after all, but we'll keep an eye on things.

Mention is made that the Licensing Department would report again to the elected members before September 2009. I can't fins anything on this, but have sent an email to the department to check.

The report does contain some useful background facts and mapping.
Attachments:
It's <deep sigh> the Scrutiny Committee.
Please can you point me to the evidence that gives rise to .

I have looked briefly at the work of the scrutiny committee and to me the following things seem to be wrong about it:
1) it is chaired by a memebr of the majority party - surely scrutiny would be more closely carried out by a member of the opposition
2) it scrutinises the mistakes only once they have been made - surely a better time to scrutinise would be fore the error occurred - an ounce of prevention etc
3) a committee which has to conduct feasibility studies before carrying out its duties is attempting to bite off more than it acn chew
4) some of the scrutiny covers the day to day work of council officers - is this notthe role of the chief executive
5) this particular feasibility study seems to conclude that there is not much we can do about this so we will not do anything - which seems defeatist

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service