Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The 20 mph speed limit in Haringey is due to come into operation on 15 February next year.

The Council Transport Forum was recently informed that, in Islington, where a borough -wide limit has been in operation for some years -

" Since implementation average speeds across borough have dropped from 23 to 22 mph. Average top speeds recorded have also dropped from 28 to 27 mph."

Was all the expenditure on signage and road marking money well spent ?

Can we afford it ?

Tags for Forum Posts: 20mph, traffic

Views: 1765

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not yet John :-)

No contempt more scathing for the working man/woman than comes from a Labour stalwart.

Modern tradesmen are not like the ones encountered in The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist. They own their own vans and tools for a start. Good on you for picking that up though!

In one of many emails to the council concerning the condition of the speed humps in my street, I was advised by an engineer that all roads that are resurfaced in future will have sinusoidal humps installed instead of the raised table style on the Ladder. There are examples of these in Tollington Park and are supposed to be more cycle friendly. It didn't stop the council from reinstating the latter in Seymour Road during the recent resurfacing works, but if anyone is pursuing the re-installment of humps on Raleigh, they should mention this.

Yes, and much much better for the foundations of the nearby houses as well.

I've never been convinced about the efficacy of humps. On my road the approach seems to be fast/slow or fast/thump

I think the one on Hewitt Road replaced in the last few months is the old 'pillow' style with sharp edges, too.

I seem to remember they were supposed to put these kind of humps in on Wightman when they were installed a couple of years ago… That did not happen

I believe speed limits and speed bumps are rather ineffective. I usually drive around the speed limit and I find myself having to give way to drivers quite often.

There is a road close to mine where kids usually play, and I've seen cars going over 40 mph in its tiny stretch of tarmac, despite the bumps.

Believe me, without the bumps and with the ladder's 14 year old one way system, speeds would be much faster! I see that whenever they reseal a road and do the speed humps a few days later.

The big problem with any design of speed bump is that it delivers disproportionate punishment to the wrong people. Small, energy-efficient cars get shaken about and shocked by this sort of obstruction far more than someone driving around in a heavy, wide and energy-intensive 4x4.  The richer you are, therefore, the less you have to worry about speed bumps.  Bumps also create terrible problems for emergency vehicles.  The repeated violent insult to their suspension not only quickly wears them out but leaves their crew with back injuries.  Then, what about the patients who by definition need least of all to be bounced about on a fast journey to the hospital?  As I suggest in an earlier posting, there are other ways, and creating chicanes is not as expensive as one of my respondents suggested.  A couple of bollards at each end of a diagonal parking bay cannot cost much more than a speed bump, and would need much less maintenance.

It would be interesting to hear your costing, since you surely haven't just picked this out of thin air?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service