Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Local History (See History Group for main postings) (472)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

A site for world history buffs

A remarkable overview of world history: http://histography.io Histography displays historical events from Wikipedia as series of chronolog…

Started by Lydia R

1 Oct 14, 2015
Reply by Clive Carter

Harringay #gentrificationwatch - early signs of trouble

An early attempt to gentrify Harringay undermined by barking dogs and the rattle of crockery The Age: June 9 1947 See more about the 1947 M…

Started by Liz

15 Oct 11, 2015
Reply by Sandra Carter

50 years ago, 3rd October 1965 - Diversion of the Piccadilly line tunnels at Finsbury Park

Reading Hugh's posting on a Piccadilly line /Overground interchange station in Harringay got me thinking about the construction of the Vict…

Started by StephenBln

9 Oct 5, 2015
Reply by StephenBln

Harringay housing co-op from 1978/9

A shot in the dark.....does anybody remember the squatters short life housing co-op that was set up in 1978 around Green Lanes and Crouch E…

Started by Des Brittain

1 Oct 2, 2015
Reply by Des Brittain

BBC People's History of Pop - Haringey Music Memories

Hi everyone, I am a Harringay resident working on an exciting new BBC multi-media project called the People's History of Pop. We're collabo…

Started by Emma Love

0 Sep 23, 2015

Hornsey Historical Society’s most prestigious book available from 17th September.

Ivy-Mantled Tower, by HHS Vice President Bridget Cherry OBE, FSA, Hon FRIBA, an architectural historian who edited the Pevsner Architectura…

Started by Lesley Ramm

0 Aug 20, 2015

1940's Bicycle safety film filmed in Harringay

It even features an irate motorist! The cycle shop is apparently the original Claud Butler shop on Green Lanes, near Harringay Green Lanes…

Started by Itsjono

15 Jul 17, 2015
Reply by Geraldine

Harringay House Gatehouse or its Ghost?

idling away at a few old maps and Google Earth the other day (as history nerds are wont too often to do), I noticed a buiding that was slig…

Started by Hugh

17 Jul 15, 2015
Reply by Hugh

Archive Footage of your Postcode

Have these Harringay films been linked previously? http://player.bfi.org.uk/britain-on-film/locations/?location=&lat=51.58496512&ln

Started by StephenBln

1 Jul 12, 2015
Reply by Hugh

Barnabys and the Old Suffolk Punch: who remembers these?

Couldn't resist posting this photo of Grand Parade in the snow. I took it about 20 years ago, possibly more. Barnabys was a wonderful Greek…

Started by Pav

35 Jun 12, 2015
Reply by Christy Lawrance

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service