Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A shot in the dark.....does anybody remember the squatters short life housing co-op that was set up in 1978 around Green Lanes and Crouch End.I believe Piers Corbyn, Jeremy's brother may have been a member. Possibly Jeremy was on the council at this time. I worked in the parks department mainly wandering round the area cutting grass. It was a great job and surprisingly well paid. .....we were a bunch of squatters who had taken over a block of empty council flats just down from a pub called the Brittania. The council came to an agreement with and allowed us to stay there as long as we looked after the block. We then negotiated a deal with them to take over many of the empty properties in the area for short life housing . We were simply called the Harringay Housing Co-op. I left in 1979 to go to America. It was at the time when the Alexandra Palace burned down.............I'm just wondering how long the Co-op lasted . I would like to contact an old pal of mine who I shared a couple of houses with. An Irishman from Kerry. Michael ? I will try to dig out his last name. I'm Des Brittain.

Views: 187

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There was another Co-op called the Habberfield Co-op.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service