Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Those of who are old enough and were keen cyclists in your youth may recognise the name Claud Butler. His firm made some of the best racing bikes. Actually by my time, Claud Butler was in its second guise having been rescued from bankruptcy.

The local connection is that there was a Claud Butler shop, one of five, at 71 Grand Parade.

Tags for Forum Posts: grand parade, harringay cycling history, old shops

Views: 1949

Replies to This Discussion

I seem to recall a bike shop under the name 'Dave Davey' at that address, late '60s. Had him build a bike for me, to which I added all of the right gear: Campagnolo chainset and derailleur, Mavic lightweight wheels shod with tubs, the works. Sold it to my cousin when the clothes obsession bit.

This should ring some bells then, Robert.

Yes, that is Dave alright. Also recognize the young chap next to him, but unsure if it was his son or not? Dave was a nice chap, always tolerant of the bike-mad young kids who would hang out there.

Something of the history prior to Butler's now added here (below the Frith advert).

I never knew that Claude Butler had a shop there, but I did work at 71 from Oct 1972 to March 1973 when it was still Donaldson & Sons estate agents.

there was a bicycle opposite at the bottom of Burgoyne Road / I got my first 2 wheeler from there, Christmas 1959 when I was 4!

Round about 1958/9 my old bike was getting past its prime. I found a Claude Butler frame for sale and, with my mate Dave, we re-built a new sporty bike. He was so taken that we did another for him. Of course within months I had a motorbike and the pedal cycle  hardly got used until I gave it to a mate to take part in a charity ride 25 years later! Within five years I had bought another for exercise reasons!

I still have mine. Bought for £6, after much persistence, from a local kid. Paintwork could do with some work...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service