Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As I was walking past Tesco yesterday, past the youths that congregate around there, I was once again so disappointed to see drug deals being made openly on the street. I know that this is not a new problem, but I just don't understand why it is allowed to happen there. All the time.

I'm just wondering if any of you long-time residents of the area could enlighten me on the status of policing the area and why kids can just stand on the high street and deal so openly. Boggles my mind. Thanks!

Views: 4345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Marijuana is less harmful than alcohol or cigarettes and readily available everywhere. It enjoys the prestige of the forbidden fruit. It's massive market incentivises street dealing ( pushing ). On top of this when week weed is difficult to obtain young people often source really bad alternatives which you say from experience includes class a drugs that you believe the dealers are also selling, possibly up selling.

Open your eyes to other ideas. I thought we were a country based on principles of scientific practice? We should trial this in a designated area with residents of that location and be lead by the outcomes, not our dogma.
FPR. I am open to other ideas. I've already said if it were down to me I would adopt the Portuguese model of making possession of any drug a civil matter whilst manufacture and distribution remain criminal. Your suggestion is that the state become the monopoly supplier of all cannabis, which is never going to happen, and make it much more easy for anyone to get hold of. I think that would have huge consequences. You are ignoring the damage that is done to the adolescent brain by smoking weed before the brain is fully formed in the early 20s. Just because adult weed smokers tend to be less of a threat to society than adult drinkers doesn't make that less true. I think it is you who needs to open your mind to more practical options and to what happens now. State run cannabis farms are pie in the sky.
FPR. Another thing I see around me is that smoking marijuana amongst teens is adding to the "have" and "have not" divide. Working class kids who have ready access to weed aren't excelling at school, are getting in trouble, make their parents lives miserable, while middle class with hysterical mothers like me make it through exams and go to University. My niece is 17 and some of her school peers look 40. They have already set a path in their lives of under-achievement and unhappiness. I think it's very sad.

Coming late to this and have only skim read the replies.

I assume you mean the Tesco near Turnpike Lane and if so I think it's probably connected to the betting shop a little further along Wood Green High Road as well as the proximity to the tube station. The drug dealing is a bit more prevalent now but it's been a 'scam' area for years.

As a middle age woman I get asked for change but one of my teenage children has been offered drugs in Duckett's Common after school and while still wearing school uniform (in a previous thread this was thought to be amusing and an exaggeration).

Life on the ladder is a bit of a bubble but I have seen a fair bit wrt to drugs and prostitution going on (sometimes when I have been with my children in the early to mid evening). 

I can only assume that police resources are very stretched and so someone offering you weed is not a priority compared to other situations they have to deal with.

After walking around wood green and Turnpike Lane on Sunday and smelling cannabis from one end to the other everywhere in between and witnessing two men openly smell a bag of green stuff ( sadly possibly spice after the war on drugs has increased the need to find drugs which can be sold openly even if that does lots more harmto the individual) , I can only conclude the the war on drugs in Wood Green and Turnpike Lane is certainly dead and the law officially has become an ass.

Fortunately the lib dems are now demanding legalisation and an end to the madness of criminalising a substance which is less harmful than the legal substances available everywhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35749080

I don't know what cannabis smells like. Should I be worried ?

Yes there's a lot of opinions based on ignorance

If ignorance is bliss, James, you should be very happy.

Why do you think the Aurora Borealis  is not also called the Western Lights ?

Touché!
Well said that man.

I'm glad i kept this thread going but i gotta go. Glad to get the last word based on intelligence and experience.

Later. We'll really miss your insightful contributions. Not.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service