Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

It seems the council are pushing this quite hard. If it happens, will they really rebuild the vue cinema ?

Tags for Forum Posts: crossrail 2

Views: 3222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

FPR can they postpone both options: yes.

That is, there wouldn't be a north-western line in Crossrail 2 at all, just the north-eastern one up the Lea Valley, to begin with.

And the report suggests if that choice is made, then a branch starting in Hackney and going east could be preferred to a north-western branch when that second branch line is built. Hence why Haringey is banging the drum as loud as it can.

Both options put forward by TFL

FPR: only one 'option' was advanced by TfL (i.e. Turnpike Lane & Alexandra Palace). A great deal of number-crunching will have gone into their original, considered route.

A second route, dubbed an 'option' was put forward not by TfL, but by Haringey Council and this was to encourage property developers' interest in the Wood Green area. It's an example of a parochial vision within a bubble. TfL added it as a so-called option in order to humour a local council.

The whole northwestern spur (including both 'options') now look as though they will be postponed. 

Clive, The NW (New Southgate) branch was never likely to be approved.. with or without a Wood Green or Turnpike Lane Option. 'Never look a gift horse in the mouth' - Are you seriously saying that a LD run council wouldn't have also jumped on the CR2 development bandwagon? Of course they would have and similarly they would have not been able to deliver the NW extension.

Excuse me for feeling chuffed that the report has confirmed what I have been writing for months. The NW branch is/was never a viable concept and if in fact, in order to balance out the service on the line, a second Northern branch of CR2 is necessary, then a branch across the the Lea to Leytonstone, taking over one branch of the Central line (Leytonstone > Epping - capable of taking main-line size rolling stock) has always been a far better option, with a much wider reach than the New Southgate route, relieving as it does, both the Victoria and Central Lines east of the Lea.

Don't forget that a full Thameslink service will also be in service by then.

What have you done with the comment admin?

What comment? Nothing touched by us here.

the comment that started like this:

You mean like the one that's showing above?

Hey OK, I give up.. thanks :-)

Hugh, I accept that this is a screenshot … however, I can't see Stephen's post either!

--

For the avoidance of doubt, Haringey Liberal Democrats certainly welcome the proposals for a northwest extension of Crossrail 2: and the original TfL route.

My impression is that David Lammy MP (who chairs the all-party Parliamentary group on Crossrail-2) holds the same view. His website strongly suggests that.

We've obviously got the gremlins in. I'm shooting for the RFU at Twickers today. I'll have a root around when I get back.

This may be a possible explanation, Stephen.
On some occasions I've edited my comment within the permitted 15 minutes. (Actually it seems about 12/13 minutes) Then realised I'd made a serious error. So deleted my initial post and then almost immediately reposted it as a fresh comment with the correction incorporated.
Result? A blank comment - which Hugh has sometimes helpfully rescued.
Does that help?

P.S. I'm interested in your comments about the planning of these new lines. Have you  come across Jane Jacobs' views on the planning of metro lines in Toronto?

Interestingly Jacobs was a standard bearer for increasing urban density and mixed use development. I do think though that it's difficult to draw conclusions from her work that are generally applicable to all cities. She looked at New York (specifically Manhattan) and Toronto, two cities with geographical features that govern their growth. Being an island for the former and on the shore of a Lake Ontario for the latter.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service