Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I must have completely missed this but see that this house is now on an Auction site having gained permission to build a new house where there was a garage and convert the existing in to multiple flats with what seems an additional floor.  I am a bit surprised, I didn't think anymore house conversions were allowed on the Ladder.

http://www.lansdowneauctions.co.uk/current-lots-available?lid=44461... 

Views: 889

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess we have to disagree. I think the Harringay Ladder is saturated with converted houses and HMOs, Check out the bins and doorbells. There aren't enough GPs, school places or parking (I don't have a car) and public transport is overcrowded.  Developers promise the earth and rarely deliver.  When New River was built they advertised it as being for young professionals and promised to make improvements to the station.  It never happened. 

I live on the ladder in a family house. Of the 12 houses around mine, one is an HMO, 3 are split into two flats, and 8 are single family houses. That is a pretty typical breakdown. The reality is there are plenty of family homes on the ladder but no one can afford them. And the logic over school places is a bit skewed. How can more family housing mean less pressure on school places.. that makes no sense.

The reality is there are plenty of family homes on the ladder but no one can afford them

I don't think that both points in your sentence can be true. I would have thought that it is the lack of supply in meeting demand that is pushing prices up?

The lack of supply of housing in general is pushing all property prices up. The point I was making is that there are already many houses in this area. We need more housing at the bottom end of the property ladder.

DavidJ - yes, and also the ability of companies/individuals in the buy-to-let market to buy family (single-occupancy) houses. Then let them (as single homes or, occasionally, otherwise) to meet demand from families who can afford to rent but do not have the deposit needed to buy the house they are renting. 'Twas ever thus to some extent, but my perception is that's increasing.

The rental model a generation ago was to buy a house then subdivide it and let the flats/rooms - that is no longer a growth area (except by stealth) in the Ladder/Gardens roads since there's a planning presumption against subdivision/further HMOs.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service