Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was just wondering this week how the other ladder roads are being affecting by the current Wightman closure.  Are any road benefiting more than others or suffering more traffic.  It would be really interesting to know as I have always thought that Wightman Road is the key to finding a solution the traffic issue on the ladder.

The traffic situation seems much calmer on Endymion both in the morning and evening and I walked down Green Lanes this morning about 7.30am and it didn't seem any more congested than normal (before the closure of WR). I appreciate that there are still issues with the traffic on Hornsey High Street coming down to Turnpike Lane.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 5370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just in case anybody is wondering about the horrendous jams on Green Lanes at about 4pm, there has been a serious accident on Turnpike Lane and it is closed.  Nothing to do with Wightman.

This lorry was in a collision with a person, reported on Twitter as a cyclist, police opened road at 16.15

I live on Warham Road (a 20 year plus resident) and the reduction in traffic over the last two months is phenomenal. When traffic was measured in January before the closure of Wightman the results showed that an incredible average of 18,000 vehicles a week use Warham Road, now I guess around 4-5,000 a week. I don't know if I can bear the pollution, noise and litter again if the road goes back to being a traffic dump rather than a place where people live and breathe.

It's really unfair what the surrounding traffic calming had dumped on your road.

But I'm amazed there's anything near 4-5,000 a week now. Who are they and where are they all going? At last census only 10% of ladder residents commuted. 

Not sure about numbers, but we are still getting traffic coming out of Salisbury Road up Warham and back down Pemberton as they do not appear to know there is no access. There are signs, though they are not the clearest, and if you miss them tough!

Yes, that sign at the bottom of Warham Road is hidden behind a tree, such a joke!! And you're right there are vehichles wandering up Warham and down Pemberton.

There's been no difference in traffic in and around my road.

My bus and car journeys are dreadful though. The worse thing personally is picking up my son from school in the afternoon, the jams mean there isn't enough time to pick him up and get back in time for my daughter's pick up. So we have to get the overground train which is obviously more expensive than the bus which is a bit tricky financially.

Only another 8 weeks of school though and I think we'll survive the summer holidays by not trying to get to the West of the borough.

Which road are you Julie? Interesting that some roads have seen no change

Conway Rd round the corner from Chestnuts Park, but I haven't noticed St Annes (at least the bit by me) being any different either except for being busier in the morning and evening by the junction with Salisbury road.

So much different on my ladder road as had 18,000 vehicles a week, from 7am to late evening, every day!!

Effingham is noticably quieter. I especially notice it in the mornings as I walk up to Hornsey Station. I leave for work just before 7am. Before the closure I would encounter a steady stream of traffic (mostly builders and other non-personal vehicles)...and now almost nobody.
Burgoyne seems a lot quieter to me. Sure, we still get the Jewson lorries (definitely noticed larger ones too) but they go quietly downhill in contrast to Veolia and others.

I love how quiet Wightman is, it seems to me that is how the road should be. Everyone seems happier who walks along there too. Looking back, the volume of traffic on such a narrow residential road seems ludicrous and unfair in contrast to how things could be. Saying that, I spoke to some Stroud Greeners today who moaned about the increase in traffic and consequent delays in their area. So it seems that, as many of you identify, the issue is about fair distribution of vehicle journeys around our part of the world.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service