Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

On a quick trot down to Turnpike Lane I thought again how pleasant it is to see people out on the street. Click each picture for a clearer version.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 9886

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But it could become part of a new Cycle Way. A road dedicated to cycling from say Herts following the new river into the City. Like Copenhagen or Amsterdam.

Yes, that's what I was thinking Antoinette. It's hardly teeming with people is it? Not like Green Lanes where you can barely move on the pavement some days and that road isn't traffic free. Good you changed the title Hugh...

The point is not yet the number of people; it's the humanistaion of the road.

As I've written before, the road is not going to teem with people whilst cars are still driving round in circles on it, delivery motor bikes use it and cyclists fly past at high speed. It is not a pedestrianised street, but it is still witnessed a huge change.  Anyone who knows it can't fail to be somewhat aghast at the difference it makes. 

Thanks for the photos Hugh.

I wonder what it would be like if for the duration all the cars parked on the road again?

Well as I said to Michael A on the other thread, to be legally parked you need to be parked within the white lines. The Council aren't going to change all the Traffic Management Orders and repaint all the boxes just for 5 months. The paperwork would take that long. And I hate to rain on the parade, but if anyone really thinks that campaigning to keep Wightman Road closed permanently forgoes the need for the advanced planning and consultation that would require is living in cloud cuckoo land. The second the Wightman Road Bridge reopens so will Wightman Road and the Ladder roads. That is what the Council is legally obliged to do.

To be able to open a window without constant noise and dust is a massive improvement in well-being and psychological health. At present. (I say this while acknowledging we need a holistic solution to the problem, for the whole ward / borough / city / country... world.) At present, I'm just really blardy loving being able to open a window and AT THE SAME TIME hear myself think and feel myself breath for a change.) For years and years and years many of us haven't been able to open a window at the front of our flats/houses.

Lucky you....all I hear when I open my windows is the endless tooting of car horns from Endymion Road and the entrance to the Arena.... believe me that is doing my psychological well-being no good at all

Then perhaps you should call your NF Tooting rather than Tottenham oops, I mean St Ann's

Arf arf, very funny! Although I did momentarily wonder why you were bringing the National Front into it....

"I moved here for the noise and bustle...if I had wanted peace and quiet I'd have gone to the suburbs".

Your wish has come true!

And some... but then it will only be for 5 months

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service