Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

On a quick trot down to Turnpike Lane I thought again how pleasant it is to see people out on the street. Click each picture for a clearer version.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 9887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's not even logical Osbawn. Think of a "block" on GL. Being very generous it can take say 10 parked cars. Again being generous allow 2 people per car. That means a benefit to 20 people. The same space could accommodate 2 double decker buses with up to 50 people on each, so benefitting up to 100 people

My response was more detailed and therefore removed as potentially libelous. Antoinette if you want the full skinny on how the traders influence local politics you'll have to come to a HoL drinks some time.

What I want is for them to stop doing it! More importantly I want the Councillors to stop being "influenced". This is the 21st century - how are they getting away with it? I had to fill in a declaration form about whether I'd received "gifts and hospitality' even down to promotional pens and calendars - and here are these **** flexing their monetary muscle....it's not right.
If that's true, that's an utter disgrace.

I know nothing about shopkeepers exerting influence on the council, but it was only a couple of months ago that many on here were lamenting the closure of Cafe Lemon - whose owner blamed its demise not just on business rates and poor lunchtime trade but also on existing parking restrictions which made it difficult for customers to stop (let alone any tougher ones).

Now, he may not have been exactly impartial (though presumably he didn't want to close down), but as with the "Wightman closure v buses unable to move" scenario, everything in this area is interlinked. As a big public transport user (non-driver), I'd support permanent bus lanes and more parking restrictions to let GL traffic move more freely, but it's the shops - not all of them restaurants, after all - that help bring the area alive. If the alternative is Wood Green High Road after about 6pm (was that tumbleweed I saw there last week….?), then give me central Harringay any day, much as I hate the current impossibility of getting anywhere without adding at least half an hour to the normal journey time.

Study after study has shown that shop owners hugely over estimate how much business they get from car driving customers. There is a good summary of various studies from all over the world about this - link below.

http://www.citylab.com/cityfixer/2015/03/the-complete-business-case...

I think its difficult to make assessment based on US stats as they really do not corelate. Judgements like these can't be so easily generalised. Small shopkeepers have a fair case when they complain that supermarkets and malls offer cheap/free parking while high street parking costs are punitive. I drive to Harringay in the evening when parking is free, but wouldn't dream of stopping during the day. As a cyclist as well, I would love to see Green lanes car free...but parking space is required if we want shops to continue in business...question is where can that happen?

Michael -  The study digest is fascinating - liked the NZ graphic of car v bikes a lot - and I did say that Lemon's owner wasn't likely to be impartial! It's excellent news if bike lanes are a benefit not a hindrance in shopping streets, but my general point is that the business economy and public & private transport on Green Lanes, pollution and noise in ladder/Wightman roads are all interlinked.

There's a specific geographical problem in Harringay, as the railway line is an impenetrable barrier with only two narrow crossings, so it funnels all north/south traffic into a narrow corridor that wasn't built for it; block a bit of it and all hell breaks loose. Any solution has to balance all the elements but I fear somebody will always be unhappy with the outcome.

It's a no brained. So why don't they just do it?
I meant no brainer. ....stooopid auto correct

Thanks Hugh/Liz. I hope people will read and reflect on the article.
Although I don't think it's "traffic be damned". From Adele Peter's description it seems more like: 'Drivers move over and take bit less room'.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service