Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

On a quick trot down to Turnpike Lane I thought again how pleasant it is to see people out on the street. Click each picture for a clearer version.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 9887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's the girl! It's such a rarity to have someone you don't even know lighten your mood that I felt I had to mention it...
But definitely trying hard in an earnest way... not just smarming in order to get a good tip (which I find very irritating)... just a lovely natured person with a nice positive attitude that's kinda infectious... I came out in a sunny mood... and the fish and chips weren't half bad either... we're going to back to try the Calamari next!
I thought exactly the same when I went in the other day, she's fabulous!
I love how a thread about Wightman Road being closed has led us to discussions about waitresses and calamari...

Sorry, back to you.

Hugh, these are damn fine pics. Esp. the first.

Meaning?

Roads with no traffic is a beautiful thing to behold in a metro city of millions hustling and bustling with motor vehicles. If only...but the genie is out of the box and the greater good of the society we live in should come before the needs of the few, and I would class the few as the people wanting to keep WR permamently closed. Until town/road planning create roads to move traffic effieciently or reduce traffic by law or some substantial method we should be reasonable and not seek to inflict pain on others because "i'm oright jack".

I would also have less empathy for those that moved to the ladders knowing that the roads are narrow and suffer with parking and traffic issues but now complain when they clearly moved into a known condition.

You may the yet have to eke out some empathy or even sympathy since many who live here moved in before or long before all the traffic management changes drove volumes of traffic to the Ladder. You need to know how and when we got to where we are in Harringay before being so stingy with your kindness Ian.

But Ian, if people simply accept that they have no choice about the way things are and never try to make them better we may as well just lie down and allow ourselves to be tarmacced over. Anyway, your logic doesn't work. I've lived in the same house on the same street since 1984. The traffic situation can't be just improved just for me and not my neighbour who moved in a year ago.

Hugh, as I said I would have "less" empathy for those that "knowingly" moved into the condition. As for the others that moved there before major changes, I obviously excluded them from my comment and would naturally have empathy. I moved into the surrounding area 10 years ago and I may be contradicted for inaccuracy but the ladders and WR were of a similar state then.

Each to their own and there is no right or wrong to where we choose to live but for me what is around me wholes equal measure to the quality and stature of the bricks and mortar.

The estate agents can talk up the area and hence more sales and more price increase but for me narrow roads, one way systems, resident parking, difficult to park, getting stuck behind dust bin trucks on a one way system and maybe of late more transient residents did not appeal. I went to an N17 location that had plenty of green space and opposite to the ladders. In any event we live in a growing and busy city and we cannot avoid traffic on the roads just to push pain onto someone else.  

Mmm, 10 years ago the damage had been done. Go back 15-20 years and things were very different. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service