Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Zena and I met a young man from the Czech Republic who was offered a job and accommodation in Manchester. Arriving in the city, he found that the pay - minimum wage - minus the rent left him without enough money to eat and  to take the long journey by tram to work. So he walked there and back each day.

Which reminded me of the 1979 book "Walking is Transport" by Mayer Hillman and Anne Whalley. Which I was thinking about when I saw this blog about "Tactical Urbanism" in Raleigh, North Carolina. 

And the efforts of Anthony Garcia and Mike Lydon to encourage walking using unofficial way-finding signs. They want to build "a culture of walking".

From: Tactical Urbanism: Short-Term Action for Long-Term Change  by Mike Lydon and Anthony Garcia, published in March 2015.

• Anyone know the book?  Or been to Raleigh and seen their work?
  • Would something similar be effective here?
  • What would encourage more people —   no, let's make it personal - what would encourage you  to walk more?

(Click on the photo to enlarge)

Tags for Forum Posts: Anthony Garcia, Mike Lydon, Tactical Urbanism, Walking is Transport, walking

Views: 1794

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Clive, I did wonder if the planned café/coffee shop on the podium floor or River Park House would discourage staff from walking across the road or along High Road Wood Green to take a break.  And possibly also damage the trade of one or more of the local businesses there?

Bob Lindsay-Smith has sent in a Freedom of Information Act request via WhatDoTheyKnow website about the set-up costs and other information for the café/coffee shop.

Slightly OT, but why are they building what appears to be a café at the north end of Ducketts Common, an area that is not exactly short of coffee shops and snackeries ? 

Because people asked for a cafe on Duckett's Common and were stupid enough not to say "down by the kids playground where we need it".

You have a point.

When, at the end of the 1990s, the Council was contemplating closing all the Borough's branch libraries, they were going to replace them with two "super" libraries. (If we carry on this logic ad absurdum, we might have a single wonderful library for all London: that would be of great benefit mainly to those in its immediate vicinity.)

One of the difficulties of the Council's earlier approach was accessibility for residents.  Many library users are old, infirm, mothers with young children or the disabled.  It's reckoned that residents' willingness to walk to a library drops off markedly if the distance is more than one kilometre.

Similar arguments apply to public parks, now under various kinds of threat by the Local Authority and no park more so, than Finsbury Park.

If you don't know about it already, I thought you might be interested to learn about the Museum of Walking.

I like a non-conformist. Make sure you get someone with a v8 4 litre to take you.

Clearly I know a bit more than you, Pav!

"...stab the throttle. And in one deep, thunderous snarl of a reply, it’ll tell you it has more character than the fastest, most powerful W12-engined Bentley will ever know."

Pure Clarkson.

THE other day, the Wall Street Journal compared the Bentley with a new, all-electric car for acceleration.

Over an eighth of a mile, Elon Musk's Tesla makes the Bentley (GT3R; twin-turbo V8; 592 bhp; 553 ft lbs of torque) ... look sluggish!

Over a quarter-mile, the Bentley just wins the drag race. Not a bad showing for the Tesla, powered by a rechargeable battery.

Mmm...not an ordinary electric car by any stretch of the imagination. 

But I usually want to go further than a eighth of a mile. That wouldn't take me to Sainsbury's

I saw on of these Tesla cars on Sunday.  It was parked in the street in Highgate.  Broadlands I think.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service