Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Guardian has started a series of columns called Winter Reads with two cracking recommendations. I don't know about you but I'm a seasonal reader. I like to read ghost stories and fantasy in the deep mid winter and pretty much anything that looks 'cold'. I'm about to re read the wonderful Susan Cooper books in  'The Dark is Rising' series with the intention of reading the second book, also called 'The Dark is Rising' in the run up to Christmas as it all takes place around the Winter Solstice.

Have you got any favourite winter books or poems to share with us? I could do with some recommendations to help me spend the book tokens I always get.

Tags for Forum Posts: reading

Views: 392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I never heard of it. Now I think I know everything I need to know about it. Saves precious time.

DWTGN either.

You ever read any books E?  

Erm, I meant A Christmas Carol.  No - books have given up on me. But if DWTGN wants to launch a Help the Aged Readers Digest of all the indigestible books ever published it might re-enKindle my spark in my declining years..

Read all those Susan Cooper books years ago - really good read for fantasy freaks. My recent good read is Water for Elephants - heard it recommended on Mark Lawson Radio 4 arts show. Really good read.

A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas, and The Jolly Christmas Postman!

For spookiness The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters - though not very Christmassy perhaps. the Country Child by Alison Uttley - wonderful evocation of winter

Thanks Liz. Don't know either of those. Will track them down.

I would recommend "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" if you haven't already read it. Its by Suzanna Clarke and was her first novel. It has lots of magic and mystery in it and is set in Dickensian London (as well as lots of other places!)

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

That is a totally brilliant book. I bought it in hardback when it came out and spent three days barely moving from my spot on the bed as I couldn't bear to leave off reading for v long. It's on my re read pile which is getting (un) steadily higher. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service