Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As you probably know. Warham has been one of the roads closed for resurfacing this week.

The quiet and carlessness has been a treat, made all the better as far as my three year is concerned by the diggers and lorries that make periodic trips up and down the road. .

Yesterday, my neighbour who has lived on Warham for 20 years came to the garden gate for a chat. He mentioned how since they put the speed bump outside his house, he has noticed the plaster cracking in his house and the increased noise of cars/lorries going over the bump. He fervently wished they would not put the bump back.

So what if they didn't put the bumps back. Would we miss them?
Warham sans voituresTime Travel

Tags for Forum Posts: Ladder traffic solutions, Wightman Road, speed humps

Views: 655

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally, I would not miss the hump very near my house. I remember the days before the new one way system and found it a great community experience meeting my neighbours as we viewed the aftermath of the weekly car crashes, hoping that my car was not involved. The humps do not stop the determined speeders. Chicanes would add to my considerable difficulties finding a parking space in my road after 7/8pm, particularly when I have a car load of shopping to unload.
"The humps do not stop the determined speeders"

You're right but they do deter a good majority, which is far better than it it use to be.

Have you actually looked recently? Times have changed and a lot of people are sticking to the speed limit.

The Snow Czar had an idea to actually paint the stripped lines for parking out wider and hence give a narrower driving line down the hill. Sounds cheap to try out...

Anyway, if you have one of these humps outside your house, you'd rather put up with the speeders. My house is being slowly shaken apart despite the support of the rest of the houses in the terrace. Not to mention the noise and stress caused by the trucks and bigger vans. It seems that Lausanne Rd is the tradesman's entrance to Crouch End.

I am right out side a hump, so no too well what a speeding lorry feels like. I have been off for a couple of weeks and have seen the three roads in question; I have also seen cars speeding up them with nothing to slow them down.

Some people will never be happy with what they have (you included), this system was put out to resident’s consultation years ago and speed humps were wanted then. Maybe it is time for more consultation and alterations to the humps and bumps but you cannot take away the fact that they slow down the majority of traffic. They may knock your prize Wedgwood off the shelves when a skip lorry comes down but maybe we need other deterrents as well as my beloved speed bump
Nothing's falling off the shelves Birdy, cracks are appearing in the front of my house.

If only the initial consultation was pursued in the same way as my vote is being pursued I may have been able to comment on it.

It is one of two big factors that makes me not want to live here. Had I known that there was a speedhump outside my house when I bought it I may have thought twice. The road was altered to suit people who park their cars outside their houses and people who drive past other people's houses, not the people who live there.
You live in a city John and your fine French wine isn't transported by Balloon you know. It's people who drive their kids across town who contribute to this mess, did you think about that then, probably not. I see your getting your excuses in to justify your move.

Actually the consultation was pursued very openly, it's about the only time I can remember Haringey Council really pushing for peoples views. I want quieter, slower roads too, but I don't want a child to get killed on our roads for the sack of the rattling Cava bottles in your cellar.

I have added a discussion for people such as you who want to live on a country road but with all the benefits of city life.
To quote Shaw: "All progress depends on the unreasonable man". So yes, I do want better than I have today, no matter how unreasonable.

Residents being consulted years ago is good, but dealing with problems of today is better.

I doubt anyone wants speed bumps - they are a means to an end. What people want is slow traffic that is safe for children, pedestrians and others. So the debate is not and should not be a sterile one of "speed bumps or not", but:

1. What can we do to balance traffic flows around Harringay, so that traffic moves and the pain is shared
2. How can we ensure that traffic is calm and reasonably safe
3. Are there better ways to achieve 1 & 2 than the current system?

Personally I know I'd prefer speeding cars to the constant noise, vibration and damage that the speedbump outside my house causes. Others may feel differently. But I'd really like slow traffic with no vibration - and I'm sure there's ways that can be found to achieve that.

Sadly road designers seem to have a default setting of "stick in a speedbump" as the solution to all problems. We can and should do better.
"Personally I know I'd prefer speeding cars to the constant noise", "that people want is slow traffic that is safe for children, pedestrians and others" - yes I see how that would work!
Birdy, you know you're deliberately taking things out of context there.

But just in case you're having problems with reading comprehension today:

* If I HAVE to choose between speed OR noise/vibration, I'll take speed. Others would choose differently.
* I REJECT that it's an either/or - we can have slow traffic AND no speed bumps. There are other ways of slowing traffic.

There - simple enough?
Not out of context, the opposite in fact as you have just stated. These roads use to be used as race-track rat runs, a fact you possibly aren’t aware of or possibly conveniently ignoring. Problems were solved eight years ago which is 100% better, but there are more issues to solve and that is what most rational people have been saying for a while.

We cannot go back to that sort of situation, it was intolerable, far, far worse than now. I agree that things need to be re-evaluated and I think that is what we are all saying here, some incredibly rudely!

Thanks for your words of support Adam.
If they introduced a compulsary left turn from Salisbury Road into Green Lanes there'd be far less through traffic on Warham from St Ann's to Wightman so that you wouldn't need speed bumps.....any support for this?
There would just be a lot of people turning right (easy enough at the lights) and then up the next left (Allison) for Crouch End, or left and then making pains of themselves trying to turn right into Seymour (a traffic desert).

I have lost sleep trying to think what can be done and I think that any playing about is merely to help things flow and then you will just get more traffic and the same problems. What we need is less traffic.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service