Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

What a load of rubbish! 54,000 complaints about rubbish in Haringey in just 2 years

Since I have been tweeting about dumped rubbish near Harringay Station today, this doesn't surprise me.
-------------------

Haringey’s Labour-run council had 54,365 complaints about fly-tipping, littering and missed waste collections in just 2 years.

Last year alone there were 29,397 complaints about dumped rubbish and missed rubbish collections. Most of the complaints last year were about fly-tipping and rubbish on the streets with 19,584 complaints. The number of complaints about fly-tipping increased dramatically by 7,000 compared to 2013 when there were 12,355 complaints about fly-tipping and missed collections.

There were fewer complaints about littering although these complaints also increased from 593 in 2013 to 829 in 2014.

The figures seem to reinforce local views that dumped rubbish is a big problem in Wood Green. As the most complaints about fly-tipping were seen in Woodside and Noel Park wards in Wood Green. The areas with the most complaints about missed rubbish collections so far this year are Bounds Green and Muswell Hill.

Liberal Democrat Opposition politicians have repeatedly raised concerns about rubbish collections and fly-tipping. When fortnightly rubbish collections were introduced they said this could cause problems with overflowing bins. The Liberal Democrats believe that charges for collecting some types of large rubbish and restrictions on where rubbish can be collected, have also led some people to dump rubbish instead.

Cllr Gail Engert, Haringey Lib Dem Leader of the Opposition, comments:

“There is clearly a big problem with fly-tipping and missed rubbish collections across the borough. The Labour-run council and their waste contractor must do more to tackle these problems.

“Whilst Labour is spending millions of public money renovating Wood Green High Road the streets of Wood Green are a mess due to all the rubbish left lying around.

“Labour should also reconsider the fortnightly rubbish collections, I am not convicted they are working, especially in Muswell Hill and Bounds Green. The Lib Dems proposed bringing back weekly collections in some areas, it is a shame that Labour voted this down at the budget meeting.”

-Link to downloadable photos of the littering and fly-tipping problem in Wood Green (photos from Woodside Ward): https://www.flickr.com/photos/haringeylibdems/sets/72157645680796968/

-Information about charges for collection of some items and restrictions on collecting bulky items (i.e. only from properties with front gardens): http://www.haringey.gov.uk/bulkyitems.htm#other

-Figures in response to a members' enquiry made by Cllr Gail Engert:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding complaints about waste collections our answers are in red:

1.How many complaints/reports were there in the borough during each of the last two years about dumped rubbish/fly-tipping each?
2014 – 19, 584
2013 – 12,355

2.How many complaints/reports were there in the borough during each of the last two years about missed rubbish/recycling collections?
2014: – 9,813
2013: – 11,191

3.How many complaints/reports were there in the borough during each of the last two years about littering?
2014: - 829
2013: - 593

4.Which wards have the highest number of complaints/reports about fly-tipping ?
2015: Woodside Ward, Noel Park Ward
2014: Noel Park Ward, Woodside Ward
2013: White Hart Lane Ward, Tottenham Hale Ward

5.Which wards have the highest number of complaints/reports about littering?
2015: Noel Park Ward, St.Ann’s Ward
2014: Noel Park Ward, Bounds Green Ward
2013: Seven Sister Ward, Tottenham Green Ward

6.Which wards have the highest number of complaints/reports about missed waste/recycling collections?
2015: Bounds Green Ward, Muswell Hill Ward
2014: Seven Sisters Ward, Woodside Ward
2013: Seven Sisters Ward, Highgate Ward

I hope that you are satisfied with my response to your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Neighbourhood Action Team (Haringey Council)
U

Views: 860

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Could always get a seat on the commuter train. Could get to see the doctor the same day. Free higher education. And best of all - Blondie

I counter your Blondie with skinheads and the Bay City Rollers.

Factual footnote: in the Winter of Discontent in 1979, the means of dealing with uncollected rubbish for anyone living in reach of Finsbury Park was to take it there and dump it along the side of the road inside Finsbury Park - I know, where I lived then overlooked the park. Not exactly a golden age for the Park, at least.

There seems to be a rather hit and miss approach. I'm one of those annoying people who report stuff I see locally quite often and normally get a good, fast response. I don't know if perhaps the waste collection service is split into geographical teams and we may have just got lucky where I live. That's not on though as everyone should expect and get the same level of good service.

There were big problems on Duckett Road, at least, over the past 10/12 months, with dumped rubbish piling up and council street refuse bags uncollected for days on end. I found Veolia used to be pretty good at responding to reporting missed collections etc, but it just broke down completely over this period. It got to the stage where I started keeping a log and taking photos of the worst examples, all of which I recently finally reported further up the chain. This has, for the time being at least, resulted in a considerable improvement.

I was told that there'd been a lot of staff changes at Veolia and a succession of temporary 'village managers' for Harringay and St Anns wards. Whatever the cause, people at several levels were definitely not doing their job.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service