Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just incase you were one of the 255,000 residents who werent invited to this mornings timeshare style media launch that hadnt even made the lunchtime news....

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/a_plan_for_tottenham.pdf

As the anniversary of the London riots approaches, Haringey Council today, 1 August, unveiled its long term ambition for Tottenham.

'A Plan for Tottenham' sets out a vision for the area from now to 2025 - building back better through economic growth; investment; improved neighbourhoods and regeneration of key sites.

A Plan for Tottenham outlines proposals for quality housing; stronger communities; a vibrant arts and culture scene; a welcoming civic heart; wide retail mix; attractive public spaces, and successful businesses.... continued here: http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/news_and_events/vision-for-tottenh...

Views: 1268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Neville? Bins?? Over jobs? Crime? Education? .... Ok!

@Seema, yes, decent bin collections AND jobs, the environment, crime and education. They are ALL important. It's such a shame that the council doesn't see delivering basic services as important as local people do.

C'mon Neville, you're better informed and more thoughtful than that. Forget the party line. (Summer: wastebins. Winter: gritbins.) Think for yourself. I do. It's much more fun!

@Alan, I've explained my position already on bin collections, it's not just because I'm a Lib Dem, it's about the wider environment. A well maintained area improves public confidence. YOU should know that.

I don't know why I find it really surprising that women make up only 25% of this Partnership Board.

If you mean the Tottenham Taskforce, I agree with you. And worse, a lack of people who've lived in Tottenham.  It was also appalling that such a key body met and meets in secret. And as far as I know, did not make its agendas, minutes, or background papers public as matter of principle and ordinary practice.

But please let's not just focus on detail - important though some of that may be. By focusing on individual trees, it's too easy to miss what they're planning with the whole forest . Where the Tottenham Plan isn't vague and aspirational fluff - and there's a lot of that - where it isn't reversed-out-printing wedged between dramatic photos, there are some deeply worrying, vague and unexplained phrases which mask at least some of the thinking 'behind the curtain'.

The most revealing part of the Tottenham Plan may be page 53. Which shows grey blocks striding across the landscape: around Spurs; Tottenham Hale Station and at Tottenham Green. In the distance, the reservoirs of the Lea, Olympic Park and the Dome. At Hale Wharf the degeneration of the Lea and Regional Park will continue.

Almost everything else, the homes where most of us now live, are shown as flat and featureless. Perhaps we aren't supposed to count or even stay in the New Tottenham?

Hi Mr S

Have you raised these concerns formally as a Cllr and what has been the outcome/response for your actions?

Raise which particular concerns with whom?  With the Chief Executive? We haven't got one.

With Cllr Claire Kober?  I assume she thinks things are going very-nicely-indeed-thanks-for-asking. Would she even look up from her blackberry to listen?

I'm rereading David Harvey's book Rebel Cities which gives a pretty convincing explanation of what we're now facing in Tottenham and other poorer areas. Apologies if you already know his stuff. If not, you might want to take a look at a recent talk he gave at the LSE. (Around 19 minutes in may be a useful starting point.) It's interesting to transpose to London his descriptions of what Mayor Michael Bloomberg is doing in New York. And also Harvey's description of low-paid workers heading into Manhattan early in the morning on the E Train

Teaching in New York as well as London, Harvey is well placed to understand the way in which, as he says: ". . . state-supplied public goods either decline or become a mere vehicle for private accumulation, (As is happening to education".)  So yes, the Downhills parents are facing a variation of the same issue. Dispossession and acquisition by external private companies. And it's not a coincidence that "Lord" Harris has been a prominent Tory party donor.

Alan, is there reallly nothing you and the other set-aside Labour members can do to challenge the Kober cabal at some other level eg national party? Or is the LP nationally just packed at power level with a similar bunch of I-know-what's-good-for-you-so-enjoy-this careerists? Being on the Council but outside the power clique must be utterly soul-destroying.

Having lived in many places all over London, I do not think I am the only one who, despite the problems, find Tottenham the best place to live. Though economically depressed, the area is thriving in so many other ways. The sense of neighbourliness is second to none. We have so much going on,that it is impossible to fit it all in. We have a terrific film club. We have local activists who know how to make full use of our open spaces with the Lordship Rec festival. We have the Bernie Grant Centre with a great exhibition on about Tottenham. We have Bruce Castle. I could go on. And because of all this, I and many others become incensed by the potential damage that is being inflicted on this very unique area. However this does not mean that the lack of opportunities and jobs is not a desparate problem, but none of this regeneration seems to address this in any meaningful way. There appears to be a very dark undercurrent to all of this. Are we being visited by the same solution that was applied to Toxteth after riots there. Fragment communities and move in a "supposed better class of person". The politicians then take credit for the shiny new build and decamp as fast as they can to bigger political pastures, leaving us with the slums of tomorrow. Those labour councillors who are being sidelined by all these Machiavellian manoeuvres really do need to do something about it, for all our sakes.

Thanks for asking, Pam. But it's difficult to give a helpful answer. For one thing, I don't recognise some of your description. Or at least I don't know if it's accurate or not because I'm not included at the levels you mention.

Yesterday I was reading the always lively Diamond Geezer. He's done some enjoyable offbeat blogging about the Olympics. Including the synchronised swimming where his seat was so far up "that the swimmers looked like eight spangly ants" and his "line of sight was part-blocked by a stair rail". Luckily he took binoculars and enjoyed it!

Is there a "Kober cabal" as you suggest? Unfortunately even Diamond Geezer's binoculars wouldn't help find out what goes on in the Kobunker at River Park House. If indeed anything is happening other than appointing Kommissions and "going forward" in circles.

Whatever it is, would be less worse than with the wretched Richard Wilson. "Ay, there's the rub."  (I refrain from mentioning the two Labour councillors  who stood against Claire for the leadership, whose names shouldn't be mentioned in polite company.)

The plan aims for 'a vibrant arts and culture scene'.

The Wards Corner scheme favoured by Haringey Council would result in a loss
of that, compared with the alternative scheme proposed by the WCC.

There is a blossoming of arts activities in other locations, taking place with
no help from the Council or even mention in this report. I'm thinking of
the studios in old warehouses in Markfield and Fountayne Roads. It was this
sort of activity that started the rejuvenation of many run-down areas, most
famously Covent Garden.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service