Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Is anyone else having problems with their Virgin Media service? We live in Pemberton Road and have no phone or broadband. It's really frustrating as apparently their end there is no fault - so wanted to see if this is wider than just our home. Thanks

Tags for Forum Posts: broadband, virgin media

Views: 913

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Though I believe BT are now moving towards fiber. Most of the connectivity from the internet to the local telephone exchanges are now fiber based, leaving only the local connection, from the exchange or box to the home being copper wire. A friend mentioned it to me the other day so given my most recent demand I am about to do something about it.

I do not need or use 100mbs of connectivity, most of what I do/need could survive happily on a lot less and I believe much of this is within reach.

That could be a consideration  Although any speed is better than the none that you are getting.

What speed do you need ?

My boyfriend will not have anything below 50mbs

BT say I could have 54 Mb minimum.

Wightman Rd, next to the Mosque.

I think that is because you have fiber to your local exchange box John. This (from memory) is the key. I believe the Crouch End exchange is fully fiber-ed up now- this is the one that serves us here.

As soon as we have fiber to the local exchange then I'm ready to switch! Although at the moment they don't seem to have the same service

'You can get speeds up to 4Mb with our Unlimited Broadband, and you can get BT TV.'

Hmmm. I will check with my neighbor who (honestly) knows more about this than i do...

I am not sure to be honest John, I think streaming services will survive happily on 20mbs. I have to say I have not noticed any difference i my connectivity as Virgin have progressively bumped up my connection speeds.

The only real result i have seen to my 'free' upgrade has been the steady ultimate increase in price, and the slow removal of the lower priced tariff I was on quite happily before. In effect I am being forced to consistently move up the pricing ladder- and do you know what? I have only (as I type this) realised how my 'willingness to pay' has been driven by Virgin, not what I actually want! In effect Virgin have constantly got their hand in my pocket.

Have had Zen broadband for a few years now - very consistently around 79mbs download and 20-30 upload. This streams tv and film over wi-fi without a hitch - better than virgin media 'cable' ever did.

Other than the odd minute - there are no consistent outages at all. I gave up on virgin.

Virgin HAVE to upgrade you as there is only so much room for the old equipment.

@DavidJ. Out of interest, how much are you paying for the service and do you know how it is provided? Copper wire/cable? Curious as to whether they provide their own internet service of someone else acts as the backbone.

Everything, apart from Virgin, requires an expensively leased telephone line. This includes Zen.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service