Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In a long reply on another post on HMOs last week, I concluded with the following paragraphs:

Summary

In essence this is where we are at today:

1. The Council has recognised that there will be a substantial increase in demand for HMOs.
  2. New legislation frees up the supply of housing available for use as HMOs.
  3. The Council has chosen not to use available powers to limit that supply because they say it is too expensive.
  4. Instead they have opted for an approach which depends on managing the quality of HMOs and relies solely on enforcement.

So what’s the likely result? Well You tell me, but what I see is that unless the Council decide to use Article 4, with the liberalised controls, the increased demand for HMOs will be met with an increased supply; the Council's enforcement team will do their best to police HMO quality, but if Council performance on the control of illegal conversions is anything to go by the impact will be limited.

What's the Solution?

I'd like to hear that I'm wrong in drawing the conclusions that I do, but it seems to me that we desperately need Article 4. Other Councils seem to agree. They're applying for it.  Haringey say it’s too expensive. What exactly is the cost? I’d like to see the Council’s report on that.

I’ve been told that much of the cost is in the need to apply for the powers. However, in a previous post I quoted the Royal Planning Institute:

“Most importantly the Minister is also advising that councils with policies already limiting HMO development in parts of their locality, can bring in Article 4 Directions straightaway, without notice, to coincide with the national policy change.”

The problem we had with the spread of gambling establishments was principally an issue with national legislation that the Council had little influence on. With this issue, the Council has the power to control the unmanaged spread of HMOs. If five years down the line, the borough is witnessing multiple problems as a result of an explosion of HMOs we will be justified in pointing the finger at the Council as being responsible and justified in holding them accountable for failing to use the powers that are available.

I'm posting here just to check if folk think we should consider applying pressure for Article 4 or just let the fates do their worst?

Tags for Forum Posts: HMOs Article 4, hmos, new hmo controls, 2011

Views: 1799

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been avoiding it Gordon. I was grateful to Marc Dorfman, Cllr Canver and Cllr Brabazon for giving up their time to attend the meeting. I know they have very busy lives. However, I've been struggling to find much to have been encouraged by in what I heard.

So let me stick to a factual statement of the facts of what I understoood to be Mr Dorfman's position on the Article 4 issue:

1. Mr Dorfman said cost was not the barrier to introducing Article 4, as I had previously heard.

2. To work, Article 4 would need rely on the successful deployment of existing planning law.

3. Mr Dorfman cannot yet identify an obvious way to use planning law effectively for this purpose.

4. Mr Dorfman's team has not been able to find any other London borough using or intending to use Article 4. (I queried again about Barking & Dagenham. Cllr Brabazon has since followed this up and has confirmed that in fact Barking & Dagenham are using Article 4.)

5. At the end of the meeting I asked Mr Dorfman three times to confirm that he wants to control the growth of HMO's in Harringay. He was unable or unwilling to do so.

6. The plan going forward is to organise a meeting with residents in October so we can together find a solution to the HMO issue. I think his team will also continue to 'review the situation' with Article 4. In the meantime, Mr Dorfman is focussing his approach on the additional licensing scheme.

[The additional licensing scheme is already decided. I haven't touched on the attention Mr Dorfman paid to individual HMO cases since my concern was to focus on the strategic/tactical issues. I'll leave the individual cases for others to report.]

I came away from the meeting unable to discern any sense of urgency or a particular will to tackle this issue. As I understand it Haringey have chosen an approach that will seek to manage quality but will do little to control the growth of HMOs. I can't shake the sense that A4 still has a key place in helping the control of HMOs.

Now, it is quite possible that Mr Dorfman felt he was in a difficult position talking to residents and was being very careful in what he is prepared to commit to. I remain eager to be corrected in my perception and told by any council officer or elected member that my understanding is wrong. However, I hope my fellow HoLers will concur that I took great pains in the meeting to clarify what we were being told and so avoid any potential for misunderstanding.

Issues of responsiveness come up again and again in this post.  Sorry this is a long post but here is my own saga.

Sent: 10 December 2008 09:54

To: Zanelli Marco

Subject: Re: Planning application website pages

Thanks you for letting me know.  I've had a look on the site and can't find an enforcement I know was decided on 12 Warham Road (it ended up in court).  I'm trying to find out the timescale given to the owner to return the property to a single family dwelling from 4 bedsits.  Can you help or point me at someone who might know the answer?

To: Michael Anderson <michael.x.anderson@btinternet.com>

Sent: Wednesday, 10 December, 2008 9:59:36 AM

Subject: RE: Planning application website pages

To Michael Anderson,

I understand the case officer involved is Mitchell Kitts, whose direct line is 0208 489 5505.

To: mitchell.kitts@haringey.gov.uk

Sent: Wednesday, 10 December, 2008 11:04:17 AM

Subject: Fw: Planning application website pages

See below.  Could you help with this please?

To: mitchell.kitts@haringey.gov.uk

Sent: Friday, 2 January, 2009 16:48:41

I still haven't heard back from you on this yet (see below)

To: 'environment.complaints@haringey.gov.uk'

Sent: Fri 26/02/2010 17:16

It is now over a year since I wrote to planning about 12 Warham Road and I still have not had a reply (see below).  Can you please let me know what is happening?  Sorry to resort to you but there are no contact details on the website for anyone senior in this section.

To: 'environment.complaints@haringey.gov.uk'

cc:'karen.alexander@haringey.gov.uk'; 'david.schmitz@haringey.gov.uk'; 'gina.adamou@haringey.gov.uk'

Sent: Sun 01/05/2011 11:18

It is now an incredible 2 years and 4 months since I first raised this issue with Haringey (see below) and over a year since I send you my complaint.  I still haven’t heard a word.  Is this a record?  I am copying this in to my local Councilors who may be interested.

Looking forward to a speedy reply

From: Cllr Alexander Karen [Karen.Alexander2@haringey.gov.uk]

To: Michael Anderson

Sent: Mon 02/05/2011 12:20

Subject: FW: Complaint about lack of response from planning

Dear Mr Anderson

I am sorry that you have received such poor service from the council on this matter.

I can't remember off the top of my head what the outcome was on this one was but it is known to me.  I will follow it up on your behalf and come back to you as soon as I have a response.

Yours sincerely

Cllr Karen Alexander
Liberal Democrat Member for Harringay Ward

Monday 1 August 2011 - still no reply fro anyone

Says it all, Michael.

This story is only too familiar to those of us who've dealt with planning enforcement and one reason why I can't feel any confidence in an approach, like the additional licensing scheme that will rely on ongoing monitoring and enforcement.

I'd be grateful if those colleagues who joined me could remind me of the exact number of enforcement officers Mr Dorfman told us were employed. Wasn't it two for the whole borough? Am I misremembering that?

I think you are right Hugh when you say  that "As I understand it Haringey have chosen an approach that will seek to manage quality but will do little to control the growth of HMOs."

In the meeting I detailed the problems of living next to an HMO and the amount of intervention from various agencies (police, fire service, social services etc) and council departments and teams (anti-social behaviour, noise control, environmental health, refuse, building control etc etc) that an HMO can involve. I have had a great deal of support from all of these agencies however after 4-5 years of continuing work and great expense (on my account and also to the public purse) the house is still an HMO. Unless the council have the power to enforce the regulations we are on a hiding to nothing.

A major problem is that Haringey has only two enforcement officers for the whole of the borough and with the best will in the world they must be inundated with cases. Faced with a landlord who has no respect for regulations or the law, has multiple properties, and who knows every trick in the book and is making an absolute fortune from cramming as many people as possible into a house, it becomes a never ending battle. 

At the moment landlords know that even if they flout the law chances are that they will win. Unless more enforcement officers are appointed as a matter of urgency (I know the new licensing scheme is supposed to generate money possibly for more staff) and a more aggressive attitude is adopted towards all rogue landlords then I can only see the situation escalating.

The new licensing scheme will hopefully improve conditions in existing HMOs, if it is able to be enforced, however the basic problem is still limiting the increasing number of HMOs. Though there are regulations limiting the percentage of HMOs in an area we were told that these are not enforceable and when cases go to court on these grounds the council invariably looses. Why is this? Is this the same for other boroughs? I came away from the meeting feeling that there was nothing to stop anyone turning their property into an HMO tomorrow and then licensing it when the new regulations come into force.

Does this comment refer to the case Michael highlights, Michelle?

Sounds like the clock is ticking.

Michael, I wonder if a note to Dorfman would be worth considering?

Hi Hugh, I have already done that. I've also raised the points Michelle raised in her entery prior to our Corporate HMO meeting on 28 July with relevant officers. At the meeting Cllr. Brabazon raised them again. As soon as I hear from officers I'll let you know.

On another note, the discussion document you have a copy of is now being updated. I'll forward it to you as soon as it's done. You'll be able to share the updated version with everyone. What you have at the moment is partly inaccurate and outdated.

Also, your feedback entry from our meeting on Tue. 26 July, item 4 is not accurate. Number 5 is not for Marc to decide any way. I've asked Marc to send you an e-mail and clarify his points.

I hope this is helpful.

Hugh, as you'd expect, I very much welcome Nilgun's request to Haringey officers to correct and update the document you were sent - apparently in confidence.

Factual accuracy is always important. Though of course, all published documents inevitably need updating. Especially when they deal with a fast moving issue like the conversion of family homes into single room hutches dwellings.

As for sharing it widely, as I've suggested to Nilgun the best way to make sure that large numbers of people can access and read Council papers - which of course they have already paid for out of their own tax money - is to put them on a public website.

My Freedom of Information Act Request - for all the papers and minutes from the HMO Working Group - is due to be answered  by 26 August. I'm confident that as the Council is utterly committed to openness and transparency they will be posted on What Do They Know website well before that date.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Thanks Nilgun. If Mr Dorfman said something other than I reported in number 4, I'll be genuinely happy to be corrected. Being right isn't part of my agenda. In many respects on this one, I desperately want to be wrong.

Thank you also for pointing out that it is not Mr Dorfman's place to express a view on whether the Council wants to restrict HMOs in Harringay. Is that an issue therefore that you're able to make a statement on?

Anything we can do to move this on quickly would, I'm sure, be significantly appreciated by the good folk of Harringay (both Harringay & St Ann's wards).

Hi Michael, here's the response I've received. Pls. send me an e-mail if you have further info to open the case.

Dear Cllr Canver,

This case was first looked into as a conversion to 4 flats which was confirmed in 2006. an application for a Cert of Lawfulness was refused in December 2007 and an Enforcement Notice served. This EN was not complied with and a prosecution bundle was prepared and sent to legal instructing them to commence prosecution action. The owner contacted the Council and complained with the Notice. The owner lives in Cyprus and so a SV was arrange with one of her representatives which confirmed that the Enforcement Notice was complied with The owner accepted a simple caution in lieu of prosecution and paid out legal costs to date in August 2008. This case was closed shortly afterwards.

Further complaints were received in 2010 and the matter was re-investigated. A Planning Contravention Notice was served to find out if matters had changed and the owner replied that t her knowledge it remained a single house. A site visit was arranged in March 2011 and the house was not converted consisting of 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The agent said 5 persons lived there. It therefore is currently sued as a small HMO which is allowed under PD rights as not more than 6 people are residing there. Accordingly this case was closed and I have had no further dealings or news with regard to 12 Warham Road.

Myles

Doesn't this pretty much make the case for an Article 4 Direction ?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service