Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just to let everyone know that the council are proposing new tree planting along the Ladder roads.  This is scheduled to start on Monday 24th March. There should be in the region of 76 new trees across the Ladder.

This is great news as some of our trees where lost to disease last year - it is great to have confirmation that more trees are now being planted.

(OK, the photo is of one of my trees but its the best photo of a tree I have!)

Tags for Forum Posts: trees

Views: 1746

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's a bit of a story to the Hewitt trees, Maggie. The residents of the bottom end of the road got together about ten or more years ago and financed the trees themselves. Back in the days before easy e-comms, I guess it was considered to hard to connect with the whole road and sadly the top half of the road wasn't invited to participate. It was great that they took the initiative. I just wish I'd heard about it. What it seems to mean now is that the road is deemed to have its tree quota and the top half of the road is rather treeless.

Nick T-G, -by recently I mean 12 years. The one tree that is being replaced was felled maybe seven years ago, its 'sister' tree on the other side of the road was also chopped down but is not being replaced.

Nick, most of the history with street trees over the past few years is covered on the site. Check the tag I've added under Karen's original posting.

I've read many of the posts in the past Hugh. As you can tell by this post, I have a great interest in street trees and seeing a lot more of them in our area.

Speaking of new trees - following on from the gardening in the Matterson and Pemberton street planters over the last weekends there will be gardening in the Fairfax and Frobisher street planters this weekend, including planting a small tree in each. Not sure exactly what day/time yet but if anyone is interested in helping talk to one of the people on that thread.

This is good news. It will help create a wildlife corridor for birds, caterpillars etc from Railway Fields to Ducketts Common and other green spaces. Railway Fields has lost quite a few trees to the storms. A mature hawthorn supports over 300 species of wildlife.

Here are a few more details.

The contractors will start at Sydney Road and work their way through the ladder to Umfreville Rd. They are planting different numbers of trees in each road so it's difficult to be more specific with time scales for each road, but they should be planting 7-8 trees a day. 

The council did look at all sites recorded as vacant tree pits on their database, but they received objections from homeowners at 14 locations. There was also a small number of sites that were now not suitable, due to new infrastructure (i.e. water mains too close to pit).

Alex Fraser at the council has asked that if residents want a tree at a specific site, they contact me (or him) and I will forward the request and they will assess the site and if they have any spare trees they may be able to plant one at the end of the current programme

On the pavement outside 81 Beresford Road why not chop that tree down?

And don't forget, people, to look after your new trees when they arrive [the council hasn't got time]. Doesn't take much-a bucket of water every now and then if it's been [hopefully] dry, a bit of weeding to keep grass etc out of the tree pits. It's the first couple of years that trees need help. And If you like, join the Haringey Tree Wardens and be responsible for your street trees.... 

Great points Peter.

Hi all,  information about trees in Effingham rd3 trees, Sydney rd 5 trees, Raleigh 2 trees, Hampden 7 trees, Lausanne 9 trees, Frobisher 5 trees, Falkkand 13, Faifax 5 trees, Beresford 3 trees, Hewitt 1 tree, Seymour 4 trees, Warham 3trees, Pemberton 4 trees, Cavendish 5 trees, Mattison 2 trees ,Umfreville 5 trees. regards Cllr Gina Adamou

Like Beresford Road needs more trees when you can't even sort out the ones I got in touch with you about when you came round and had a look and said it would be sorted out that promise was before the local election and the local election came and went and nothing was done

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service