Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Cllr Schmitz and I visited the Depot before Christmas last year. One of the things I brought up with the First Group managers was the ongoing problem of screeching train wheels which particularly affects Wightman Road residents whose properties back onto the railway. This is an ongoing frustration to residents particular in the summer months.

They have taken the issue away and looked at the causes and ways to remedy it. I have received a letter explaining what steps have been taken so far.

Their track manager has assessed the problems and steadily improved the track at Hornsey depot. Last month, specifically, they lifted and relaid '23 road' - the track lane that runs into the main depot building closest to neighbouring houses. This was tight (hence the noise) and needed regauging. The reduction in noise for residents, however, may have been less noticeable as the screeching was happening just inside the building, not outside.

In addition, their track manager has been gradually renewing the points that switch trains from one track to another on the approach to the main building. This in itself reduces the noise generated by passing trains. The last of these, 'number 8 points' had had to be closed because of its poor state. They have now been renewed which allows them to move some of the heavy traffic away from the east side of the depot and away from their neighbours. The full improvement will be felt once their staff have been fully rebriefed in route learning for the restored layout so they can make use of it. That should be completed by the end of February (it takes this long to complete the training because of the rostering arrangements).

Their track manager has also installed a greaser at the head of the yard which means that every train entering the depot receives a dose of grease on its passing wheels which will again deliver a significant improvement.

I would be very grateful for any feedback from residents on this issue, please let me know if you think there is an improvement, or if there is not and I can continue to drive this issue forward.

Cllr Karen Alexander
>

Tags for Forum Posts: embankment, noise, railway, railway noise, train noise

Views: 744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have an update from Roger Perkins from First Capital Connect on the railway track behind Wightman Road.  New points are now in use at Hornsey depot which should reroute trains away from a relatively tight S-bend to a straight section, reducing (indeed hopefully removing) wheel screech. Please note that in the morning peak (0830-1130) trains will still have to travel this S-bend because of the large number entering service.

I know the problem has been very bad over the summer so hopefully this will alleviate it somewhat.  As always please let me have any comments on your particularly section of track so that I can go back to First Capital Connect if necesssary.

Thanks Karen
Worth looking at a tree protection order Dick?

I know nothing about the use and scope of tree protection orders.  I would guess however that this would simply stir up trouble and that railway authorities would be in a special position when it comes to trees near their tracks.  I don't want to make life difficult for the railway officials, I would rather see them adopt a convenient management scheme which preserves an effective screen of trees.  Nothing complicated but something more sophisticated than cutting down the lot every 25 years or so.

I'm up on Park Ridings the other side of Turnpike Lane and also hear these screeching noises at night esp in the summer.

It's great that you've taken such positive action on this, thank you!

Hello again

Screeching sounds are back again, no change really from before.

And we do still hear the trains hooting late at night.

Thanks Graeme.  Are you on Wightman Road or nearby?  I am trying to establish which parts of the railway have had work done to remedy the problem.  I am nearest the section between Hewitt and Pemberton (railway side).  The good weather has drawn us into the garden this week and I was very disappointed that the screeching is as bad as it ever was.  I have made further contact with the railway company to let them know but further evidence from residents is really useful.

Cllr Karen Alexander

Hi Karen

We are immediately behind warham road junction with wightman road railway side.
Just an update on the screeching trains and the pruning of trees on the railway track behind Wightman Road.

The greenery was cut back as a goodwill gesture at the request of residents whose property backs on to the depot. Professional contractors carried out the work and while doing this, discovered that one tree was rotten to the core and needed to be felled. They checked for nesting birds as well as squirrels and bats before carrying out their work. I am reassured there is no wholesale clearance planned.
In relation to the trains, a greaser is in operation and they have replaced a lot of the rail head. The last piece of the jigsaw is a new set of points to be brought into operation very soon and that should solve the problem.

Can I ask that residents keep me updated so that I can chase things if this is not resolved.

Many thanks for this update.

As regards the tree work, it is reassuring to know that no wholesale clearance is planned and that the railway authorities are responsive to concerns about individual problem trees.  May I ask whether there is a contact person with whom such cases can be raised?  I think the tree that was removed recently was a large ash.  There are a few of these, mainly on the sloping face of the embankment or even lower down where they are most likely to overhang and to suck all the moisture out of adjacent gardens.

I think there remains a broader question regarding the kind of tree management regime that will be needed to ensure that the tree screen is maintained.  So far as I can see, the existing screen is mostly composed of sycamores along the top edge of the embankment.  They seem to be more or less the same size and age and I would guess that they were either self seeded plants that were allowed to grow unchecked or they were new growth after earlier trees were coppiced.

The trees forming the screen that faces the back of my house are now rather tall and thin - indeed much taller than needed for screening purposes.  I would guess that within a year or so, some of them will start to break in high winds.  If there isn't a more considered plan for managing the trees, this could lead to the whole lot being cut down to the ground (as happened before).  Of course, they may grow up again but the screen will be missing for some years while this happens.

Do you think the railway people would be willing to talk about this kind of longer term issue?

Thanks for the update Karen.. will keep you posted re noise.. so far no difference. Still screeching.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service