Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Anyone able to give us an update on what happened at the traffic study meeting on Monday? One of the steering group members have suggested "The next couple of months could be critical and we will need to lobby", so would be good if we could all be kept updated on what happens at the meetings.

On a related note, these from the HCC meeting minutes:
 (1) Gary Smith of LBH is working on a 2-way scheme for Tottenham lane existing 1-way section
(2) There are sketch proposals for a W bound segregated cycle lane on Turnpike Lane W from Wightman Rd.
(3) Wightman Rd:
- it was agreed the pinch points must go
- filtering ladder roads at the lane a possibility but would increase travel distances for residents traveling E/W.
- Pavement parking should be removed, parking one side of road (alternating) possible.
- Introduce zebra crossings.
- There should be a timed N bound cycle lane on green Lanes as a minimum.

Those all sound interesting. (1) could help a lot with all the congestion that was around the bus stop by the New River there while Wightman was closed. That (2) means up the hill under the railway bridge I think, would be good, I usually ride on the footpath there as the road seems too dangerous.  

Views: 3437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The chart shows 39 responses supporting Wightman filtering and 25 responses supporting bollards on all the rungs - that is already more than the 62 against permanent closure.

It wasn't a particularly scientific survey - it was easy for the same person to add multiple responses to the interactive map for example - but I'm pretty sure there is massive opposition to the noise, pollution, safety issues and what the consultants call "loss of amenity" caused by ratrunning. I can't see Package 1 making much of a dent in that - as Nick says it increases visibility exiting onto Wightman so might even make it easier.

I was going to say something exactly along these lines Joe.  I called Trump's win in 2015  (as well as Brexit carrying here) for many reasons and one of them is because polls are used to shape opinion rather than reflect them.  That isn't so much the case here but the logic is similar. Did that interactive map mean that wherever a comment was made is where the person making it lived? Did one have to live in that zone to be able to make comments?

I ask to be excused for posting quite a bit on this topic but to me it's really the only thing of considerable importance. So I will say something I said before again: There is an overlay here that seems to be ignored and that is a mayor's office and government in general that claims at least that it is dedicated to cleaner air, less traffic and more cycling/public trans. Applying that policy in kind non scientifically to the non scientific map, that's 75-100 votes there for option 4 or 5. 

Moreover, I also saw before that the bridge closure stats showed that not 100% of the cars off of Wightman during the bridge closure went to Green Lanes but more like 15%. Did behaviour change or did the other 80% go via Crouch End?

It will be awkward at first but unlike with the bridge closure where people think "I just have to endure this for x months and it's back to business as usual", it will be a realisation "damn, I have to do something else" and maybe e.g, 45 minutes on the Piccadilly Line will seem more attractive than the extra 45 mins in the car.

I would just like to agree with Nick: "I'm personally not in favour of any of these options and frankly I feel underwhelmed with what I hear and read about the traffic study to-date."

Mmm, you and pretty much everyone else I think. But FYI comments on these 13 packages of options are due by next Monday, 9 January 2017, so last chance to suggest alternative ideas. A few sets of rising bollards about the Ladder perhaps?

I can't think of anything more perfect than bollards across the roads, and last summer's set up is great too.  It's easy to criticise and say "it sucks" but I haven't seen any alternatives put forward by the critics.

Where should the comments on the 13 packages be submitted. Is that here on the board as I am not finding anything readily from the council.

I can't see the council approving rising bollards with the cost and the admin for all residents to use and permanent bollards would be the worst solution and frankly dangerous with traffic having to reverse out onto Wightman and Green Lanes. It would be different if the rung roads were wider but as they are all single carriageway, three-point turns would be effectively impossible. Coupled with the increase demand on the rung roads for residents bays from Wightman resident bay numbers being halved, turning spaces will be even more limited.

The silence of last summer was really nice but was a complete pain for any resident with a vehicle. Having to spend 30 minutes crawling along Turnpike Lane when only 200 yards from my house was bonkers.

Option 4 and 5 therefore don't get my support.

As for alternatives there are 11 other options on the table. Personally I'd go with the simple solutions, measure their effectiveness and re-evaluate. 

It wasn't just impossible for residents with a vehicle. People on buses were similarly screwed.

That did seem to be the impression but, from what I remember, the TFL traffic data didn't seem to bear that out which was surprising.

The tfl traffic data did show increased journey times just not as severe as we all felt it was, but it was definitely worse. All I know is now I don't worry that leaving work at 5pm in Islington gets me home in time to pick my son up from after school club before 6pm. I know my 3 mile journey on 2 buses took up to an hour and that's ridiculous.

I've just had a quick look at the data. Southbound buses between Mattison and Manor House had at most an extra minute added to the journey. Northbound was a bit more severe with an extra 4 or 5 minutes at times.

Arguably there is a separate issue that the busses need to be sorted out Northbound anyway rather than having to negotiate a load of parked cars.

I didn't imagine sitting in traffic for up to 30 minutes wharever the data shows.

The number of trips for the two periods was very similar so I don't think that there were busses being missed off the data

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service