Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Anyone able to give us an update on what happened at the traffic study meeting on Monday? One of the steering group members have suggested "The next couple of months could be critical and we will need to lobby", so would be good if we could all be kept updated on what happens at the meetings.

On a related note, these from the HCC meeting minutes:
 (1) Gary Smith of LBH is working on a 2-way scheme for Tottenham lane existing 1-way section
(2) There are sketch proposals for a W bound segregated cycle lane on Turnpike Lane W from Wightman Rd.
(3) Wightman Rd:
- it was agreed the pinch points must go
- filtering ladder roads at the lane a possibility but would increase travel distances for residents traveling E/W.
- Pavement parking should be removed, parking one side of road (alternating) possible.
- Introduce zebra crossings.
- There should be a timed N bound cycle lane on green Lanes as a minimum.

Those all sound interesting. (1) could help a lot with all the congestion that was around the bus stop by the New River there while Wightman was closed. That (2) means up the hill under the railway bridge I think, would be good, I usually ride on the footpath there as the road seems too dangerous.  

Views: 3434

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Package 4&5 are the only options which eliminate ratrunning on the Ladder rungs. Package 3 halves it at best - it actually makes northbound ratrunning easier as there is no oncoming southbound traffic to cross.

I don't think parking on one side would be universally resisted by residents since (a) most residents don't have cars and (b) the choice is between perhaps less convenient parking versus narrow pavements and up to 120,000 vehicles passing your house every week.

I also wouldn't assume parking spaces would halve by the way - removing the crossing islands would create more spaces for example.

The other things with this is that these packages are a "medium" length list of 13 packages:

2 x Area-wide: "Package of improvements" and  "Package of improvements to enhance pedestrian + cycle links"

2 x Green Lanes: "Package 1 minor improvements" and "Package 2 minor improvements + continuous cycle facility + review GL parking"

1 x Hermitage

1x Gardens

2x St Ann's: "Package of improvements" and "Package of measures to reduce north-south through traffic"

Plus the 5 Ladder area choices

They want feedback on how to whittle this list down further to a short list of less than 10 that goes out in the public consultation. How shall we do that? I was thinking of doing another survey to solicit views and comments on these packages.

Maybe its easy to identify which of these 13 options should be dropped to bring the list down to less than 10?
Maybe drop these ones:

Area Wide Package of pedestrian and cycle links
Ladder Package 1 - minor improvements
Ladder Package 2 - extensive use of turn bans
The Gardens Package

(the detail of those is in the doc here)

What do you think?

To be a bit clearer about the Wightman options here are the pictures they provided for the 5 package choices. Its only package 3 and 5 that would significantly reduce the traffic on Wightman Rd right?

Just to refresh, these are the results of the January and June traffic counts on a map. June was during the bridge closure.

https://batchgeo.com/map/dffd78475ca0d105236f9860a0555b49

Thanks for linking to those again. On a very quick look, one thing I hadn't noticed before was how quiet the three roads right at the northern end of the Ladder were during the closure. I guess that's because they were completely blocked at their ends. I imagine that gives us a pretty good idea of the level of resident generated traffic - about 1,500 cars, That compares with most other Ladder roads ranging between 4 and 7 thousand  during closure. So even during the closure there seems to have been about two thirds non-resident traffic - or am I missing something?

You could look at the Gardens for a representative level of residential traffic. It's a lot more than 1,500 - perhaps due to deliveries etc.

According to the GRA the Gardens gets a lot ore than just resident traffic. Because they were close at their junction with Wightman, those top three roads seem like a pretty good proxy for assessing resident generated traffic.

Eade Road is the only sensible benchmark for residential traffic. It has long been a dead end.. Divide flow by number of houses (assume similar car ownership to ladder and gardens). No road in the Gardens is an island.

Agree with you there. The traffic on Eade Road is around 2,500 vehicles per week, and it's shorter than any ladder road, with far fewer houses.

Hocken, Eade Rd is not a good benchmark as it's not a dead end if you're on a motorbike - this issue was discussed back in June here. Over a fifth of Eade Road's traffic is motorbikes - more than 10 times the percentage of say Warham.

I agree with Hugh the best benchmark for resident-only traffic levels would be the northern rungs of the ladder during the bridgeworks.

And Hugh, the reason the other Ladder rungs had more traffic (and specifically why Duckett had 7K) is explained here.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service