Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Council have set up this conference to explore the options open to the Council to tackle the problems associated with some houses in multiple occupation (HMO).

Speakers include Shelter, on tackling rogue landlords and the Department for Communities and Local Government.

The event is aimed at Residents, Local Councillors, professionals and other interest groups.

Lunch will be provided.

As space is limited it is essential that you confirm your place using the contact details below.

Start and finish time: 9:50am to 3pm

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Venue : Civic Centre, High Road, Wood Green, London, N22 8LE 

For further information contact:

policy@haringey.gov.uk

tel: 020 8489 4301

Anyone planning / able to go?

Tags for Forum Posts: hmo, hmos

Views: 337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I am going. As far as I know, there are no places left but it's worth emailing anyway as there may have been people drop out.

I'm told there's been enormous interest and it's full!

So anyone who has booked a place and can't make it, please ring the number above asap and let the staff organising it know. They'll be able to add someone else.

How did it go Liz?

Did any one go to this conference. Was it any good?

Is Harringay Online truly  representative of the local community? Particularly about housing issues. Were any tenants of HMO's in Harringay at the conference?

Would be good to hear from tenants of HMOs and learn what problems they face.  How much do you pay for a couple of rooms since rents have skyrocketed?

Probably not. No group or body ever is. But from sheer weight of numbers, HoL may arguably be far more representative than anything else in the hood. What are the other options?

Any chance of a report back from anyone who attended? 

Hi Liz and others -- any news on this?  Thanks so much for going.

Hello, everyone. Sorry bit busy at the moment and haven't had to time to marshall my thoughts on the conference. There were a lot of interesting and knowledgeable people there.

However, if you want the headlines, its basically that the proverbial will hit the fan in East Haringey when the changes to housing benefit begin to bite as they will do soon and thousands of people will be forced to migrate to cheaper parts of London (essential reading here from Dave Hill on this topic). Haringey are working hard on this but their hands are tied by the lack of joined up thinking on the legislation. There was an impassioned appeal by Steve Russell to the DCLG representative to stop rogue landlords driving 'a coach and horses' through their attempts to use the existing legislation to bring them to book. Lack of money only compounds the problem of enforcement, of course.

When I get some time to read my notes, I'll try and do a proper post on it (unless Alan wants to?)

Ah, so its all good news then!

Well, there is the licensing scheme which is now going into operation (began in October this year) but its too early to evaluate how that is going. Hopefully there will be updates on it. Harringay SNT encouraged the licensing team to use Harringay Online as one channel of communication in the meeting. So there was a glimmer of hope but there's no getting away from the fact that the tsunami is about to hit

“Considering” how to bring empty houses back into use is not going to cut it. Nor is the private sector ever going to build enough homes for the people in most need. Here is one crisis that is going to get worse in the next five years, particularly as public capital spending is likely to be cut even more sharply than revenue spending.

Ian Willmore May 2010

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service