Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

An interesting snippet from the wonderful exploring 20thC London website about a bookshop that pre-dates the splendid Big Green Bookshop and its involvement in the campaign against clause 28

Lesbian and gay groups organised protest campaigns to oppose Clause 28 of the Local Government Act 1988. This prohibited local authorities "promoting" homosexuality by publishing material, or through the teaching of the acceptability of homosexuality. These badges (below) were made to highlight the issue outside the lesbian and gay community. The 'Right To Read' badges were produced to defend the right to sell and read gay literature. The Reading Matters Bookshop in Wood Green High Road used them in its defence following the motion of Haringey Council in April 1988 to discontinue their grant under Clause 28 of the Bill (not then enacted). The bookshop received homophobic 'hate mail' at the time addressed to the 'Filth Shop'.

Click picture to view on Exploring 20thCentury website

Any memories of the bookshop out there?

Tags for Forum Posts: clause 28, history, wood green

Views: 624

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the 80's Reading Matters bookshop was on the corner of Bury Road and Lymington Ave (shop now occupied by Kashmir Butchers).  Lots of very interesting books & political magazines which you couldn't find in many other places - a great local resource and contact point for lots of local campaigns too. 

There was a march against Clause 28 which started or finished on Ducketts Common - can't remember which.  Having tried to find a reference on line I came across a few articles below which give a bit more of the history of the campaign and Haringey's part in it (but they don't mention Ducketts Common so I'll have to search through old photos sometime).

2006 interview with Femi Otitoju, involved with setting up the Haringey Lesbian and Gay Unit in 1986.

Sir Ian McKellen's 1988 speech on Clause 28

and a blog about the 1980's "Whatever happened to 'How to become a lesbian in 35 minutes'?"

Was it not in Lymington Avenue, obliquely opposite the old Sainsbury's?  I'm sure I was in there in the'80s on the trail of multicultural books.

Thanks for replying

From a Twitterpal I picked up this info re its address from this list [pdf]

Just found this; "1980 Dec – 1991 10 Lymington Avenue, Wood Green, N22. 1989?: moved to 187 High Road, Wood Green N22"

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service