Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Reading an interesting article, with examples from the UK and the US, about how place branding by communities can have a positive impact including: attracting and retaining talent; shifting negative perceptions; supporting economic recovery; stimulating demand, and strengthening civic pride. 

Read the article yourself here.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay name, place branding

Views: 1556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep, I've always known that bit as 'Green lanes' in the 3 decades I've lived in the borough, infact from Manor House to Duckets common IS Green Lanes. I've never referred to it as or known it referred by friends, neighbours as 'Harringey'

There's a reason for that, the name Harringay is phonetically useless at describing a location because the borough since 1965 is phonetically called the same place, hence the evolution of using the term Green Lanes.

Two swallows do not a summer make!

The 'parades' are just sets of buildings on Green Lanes though, so part of it, it's still Green Lanes!
... And whilst we're at it, let's just call this 'haringey' online.

A much more inclusive 'brand'.
Not their postal addresses and have always been called that since being built in Harringay.
Sure, but Green Lanes is a continual road, it doesn't stop and start at the Parades. Much the same as say, the A1 includes sections that are called something else as well.
But yes, the place is Harringay, the road that runs through it is Green Lanes, and that small section of Green Lanes that runs through Harringay near the Salisbury is called Salisbury Parade. I'm not sure where the confusion lies!

it is a continual road but the area is commonly known as 'green lanes' apart from, apparantly by estate agents. no one goes to the turkish restaurants, hardware stores or veg shops in 'Harringey' .

You are absolutely right - when I go to, say, a Turkish restaurant, I (usually) go to one on Green Lanes (or on Grand Parade, but let's not split hairs over that).  However, I live on Pemberton Road, which is not on Green Lanes and not in an area called Green Lanes - it, like the particular section of Green Lanes we are talking about, is in Harringay.  There are enough Turkish Restaurants (hardware stores, etc.) on other sections of Green Lanes to make it confusing for people who do not live in the area - in fact just the other day I was trying to explain where a shop was on Green Lanes and realised the person I was talking to thought I was talking about the section by Newington Green, but when I told them "Harringay" they said, oh yes, near the Salisbury.

yes! We All know the Salisbury! 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service